Jan 6, 2012, 3:43 PM EST
The news comes as a surprise to many. (Including a certain dashing hockey blogger who went on TV yesterday and all but guaranteed Luongo would start.)
According to the Canucks’ Twitter feed, Vigneault said the decision was based more on Schneider, a Massachusetts native and Boston College alum who will get to start in front of family and friends, than Luongo, the guy who was ventilated in all three games at TD Garden during the Cup finals.
Odd, since Vigneault has long maintained the goalie who gives the Canucks the best chance to win will play. It’s why he started Schneider seven straight times in November.
On Wednesday, Luongo shut out the Wild, so it’s not like he’s struggling.
“I would have liked to play this game, but in fairness to Cory he’s from here and deserves to play this game,” Luongo told reporters.
Of course, perhaps this is just Vigneault’s way of saying tomorrow is just another regular-season game.
“If we win tomorrow, they’re not going to give us the Cup back,” he said.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)