Jan 6, 2012, 3:43 PM EDT
The news comes as a surprise to many. (Including a certain dashing hockey blogger who went on TV yesterday and all but guaranteed Luongo would start.)
According to the Canucks’ Twitter feed, Vigneault said the decision was based more on Schneider, a Massachusetts native and Boston College alum who will get to start in front of family and friends, than Luongo, the guy who was ventilated in all three games at TD Garden during the Cup finals.
Odd, since Vigneault has long maintained the goalie who gives the Canucks the best chance to win will play. It’s why he started Schneider seven straight times in November.
On Wednesday, Luongo shut out the Wild, so it’s not like he’s struggling.
“I would have liked to play this game, but in fairness to Cory he’s from here and deserves to play this game,” Luongo told reporters.
Of course, perhaps this is just Vigneault’s way of saying tomorrow is just another regular-season game.
“If we win tomorrow, they’re not going to give us the Cup back,” he said.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)