Jan 6, 2012, 3:43 PM EST
The news comes as a surprise to many. (Including a certain dashing hockey blogger who went on TV yesterday and all but guaranteed Luongo would start.)
According to the Canucks’ Twitter feed, Vigneault said the decision was based more on Schneider, a Massachusetts native and Boston College alum who will get to start in front of family and friends, than Luongo, the guy who was ventilated in all three games at TD Garden during the Cup finals.
Odd, since Vigneault has long maintained the goalie who gives the Canucks the best chance to win will play. It’s why he started Schneider seven straight times in November.
On Wednesday, Luongo shut out the Wild, so it’s not like he’s struggling.
“I would have liked to play this game, but in fairness to Cory he’s from here and deserves to play this game,” Luongo told reporters.
Of course, perhaps this is just Vigneault’s way of saying tomorrow is just another regular-season game.
“If we win tomorrow, they’re not going to give us the Cup back,” he said.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)