Jan 6, 2012, 12:29 PM EST
Sidney Crosby‘s immediate future is still unknown. He’s not skating with the team, he’s not practicing, he’s not doing anything at all as far as getting back to playing immediately. For now, he rests and tries to get his head together while his contract is ticking away.
Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos says that Crosby’s next contract with Pittsburgh (his current deal expires after next season) could be a very difficult situation for GM Ray Shero to get a handle on.
Kypreos says that Shero will be nervous for how they want to pay Crosby since they want him to be a Penguin for life. If Crosby’s concussion problems persist, however, how do you pay a player of his caliber appropriately? If healthy, Kypreos says that Crosby could command a 10-year deal worth $100 million without batting an eyelash.
Kypreos suggests that going the short-term route is the one that makes most sense because there would be no way a massive contract would be insured with Crosby’s current health. Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson might not be OK with that, though.
For the Penguins, being on the hook for $100 million that essentially goes to waste because of injury is bad business.
The Pens owe a lot to Crosby for helping put them back on the map and winning a Stanley Cup in 2009, but giving him a lifetime deal when they’re not even sure what his future holds makes for a dangerous game. Unless Crosby shows he can get over his concussion problems, which may not be possible, negotiations come summer of 2013 could get really awkward.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 3
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)