Jan 6, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby‘s immediate future is still unknown. He’s not skating with the team, he’s not practicing, he’s not doing anything at all as far as getting back to playing immediately. For now, he rests and tries to get his head together while his contract is ticking away.
Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos says that Crosby’s next contract with Pittsburgh (his current deal expires after next season) could be a very difficult situation for GM Ray Shero to get a handle on.
Kypreos says that Shero will be nervous for how they want to pay Crosby since they want him to be a Penguin for life. If Crosby’s concussion problems persist, however, how do you pay a player of his caliber appropriately? If healthy, Kypreos says that Crosby could command a 10-year deal worth $100 million without batting an eyelash.
Kypreos suggests that going the short-term route is the one that makes most sense because there would be no way a massive contract would be insured with Crosby’s current health. Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson might not be OK with that, though.
For the Penguins, being on the hook for $100 million that essentially goes to waste because of injury is bad business.
The Pens owe a lot to Crosby for helping put them back on the map and winning a Stanley Cup in 2009, but giving him a lifetime deal when they’re not even sure what his future holds makes for a dangerous game. Unless Crosby shows he can get over his concussion problems, which may not be possible, negotiations come summer of 2013 could get really awkward.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal