Jan 6, 2012, 3:43 PM EDT
Saturday’s game between the Canucks and Bruins has many people excited.
It just doesn’t seem like Claude Julien is one of those people.
The Bruins head coach wasn’t interested in discussing the first Vancouver-Boston rematch since Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals after practice today. In fact, he barely discussed it at all.
“The finals was last year. We did what we had to do and we succeeded in that,” Julien said. “It’s going to be one of those intense games, but certainly I wouldn’t read into it any more than that.”
Julien refused to bite at the many carrots dangled by reporters, though it wasn’t for a lack of carrots. Man, there were there a lot of carrots. Julien was asked repeatedly about the history of trash-talking between Boston and Vancouver, including a question about Mark Recchi calling the Canucks “the most arrogant team I have ever played against.”
Again, Julien refused to bite.
“I don’t think you’re talking to the right person with that kind of stuff,” he said. “I really don’t have time for those kind of comments, so we’ll leave it at that.”
Julien’s restraint heading into Saturday’s affair is admirable because — regardless of the “it’s just another game” cliches — this isn’t just another game. Even if the Bs and Canucks were total strangers the game still would’ve had juice, as it’s a matchup of the second- and third-best teams in the NHL and its two highest-scoring teams (in terms of total goals for, that is.)
That said, some players are a little caught up in the hype.
“It’s a big two points for us,” said Milan Lucic. “It’s a chance for us to be first in the whole league if we win this game, so it’s definitely a big game for us and we’re looking forward to the challenge.”
When asked about the rivalry, Lucic acknowledged Vancouver isn’t one of his favorite teams.
“It’s safe to say, yeah,” Lucic said. “Just because of the emotional series we went through with them.
“I’m sure if you ask them the same question, they would say the same. It’s just one of those things.”
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)