Jan 6, 2012, 2:33 PM EDT
Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports Jaromir Jagr is hoping to return to the lineup on Sunday when the Flyers take on the Senators.
The 39-year-old was expected to be out 7-10 days after injuring his groin at the Winter Classic, but appears to be on track for an early return. He sat out last night’s wild 5-4 win over Chicago — a game in which his (occasional) replacement, James van Riemsdyk, scored twice — and won’t play on Saturday, the first of a home-and-home against Ottawa. But a Sunday return would mean Jagr only missed five days of action, a positive sign for the NHL’s fourth-oldest player.
Jagr’s injury could end up being a blessing for the Flyers as van Riemsdyk thrived in an expanded role against the ‘Hawks. That could provide the necessary kickstart to his season — JVR’s been inconsistent this year after lighting up last year’s playoffs with seven goals in 11 games.
“JVR was good,” coach Peter Laviolette said. “It was his best game. I think the fact that he was skating to be physical, he was banging bodies. I think this is a game he can use to get excited about, go into the next game and build off it.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)