Jan 6, 2012, 2:33 PM EDT
Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports Jaromir Jagr is hoping to return to the lineup on Sunday when the Flyers take on the Senators.
The 39-year-old was expected to be out 7-10 days after injuring his groin at the Winter Classic, but appears to be on track for an early return. He sat out last night’s wild 5-4 win over Chicago — a game in which his (occasional) replacement, James van Riemsdyk, scored twice — and won’t play on Saturday, the first of a home-and-home against Ottawa. But a Sunday return would mean Jagr only missed five days of action, a positive sign for the NHL’s fourth-oldest player.
Jagr’s injury could end up being a blessing for the Flyers as van Riemsdyk thrived in an expanded role against the ‘Hawks. That could provide the necessary kickstart to his season — JVR’s been inconsistent this year after lighting up last year’s playoffs with seven goals in 11 games.
“JVR was good,” coach Peter Laviolette said. “It was his best game. I think the fact that he was skating to be physical, he was banging bodies. I think this is a game he can use to get excited about, go into the next game and build off it.”
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)