Jan 6, 2012, 2:33 PM EDT
Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports Jaromir Jagr is hoping to return to the lineup on Sunday when the Flyers take on the Senators.
The 39-year-old was expected to be out 7-10 days after injuring his groin at the Winter Classic, but appears to be on track for an early return. He sat out last night’s wild 5-4 win over Chicago — a game in which his (occasional) replacement, James van Riemsdyk, scored twice — and won’t play on Saturday, the first of a home-and-home against Ottawa. But a Sunday return would mean Jagr only missed five days of action, a positive sign for the NHL’s fourth-oldest player.
Jagr’s injury could end up being a blessing for the Flyers as van Riemsdyk thrived in an expanded role against the ‘Hawks. That could provide the necessary kickstart to his season — JVR’s been inconsistent this year after lighting up last year’s playoffs with seven goals in 11 games.
“JVR was good,” coach Peter Laviolette said. “It was his best game. I think the fact that he was skating to be physical, he was banging bodies. I think this is a game he can use to get excited about, go into the next game and build off it.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)