Jan 6, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
Ryan Getzlaf doesn’t want to be traded. If he could, he’d be an Anaheim Duck for the rest of his career.
“I want to be part of [the solution in Anaheim] more than anything,” Getzlaf told the OC Register yesterday. “In junior, I played for the same team my whole career and I kind of imagined the same things when I came here and still do.”
Not that he has the final say in whether he stays or goes. Getzlaf doesn’t have a no-trade clause and Ducks general manager Bob Murray has said the only “untouchables” on the struggling team are Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu.
The Toronto media is already wondering if Getzlaf, who’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013, could be dealt to the Maple Leafs.
However, that’s not what Getzlaf wants.
“I don’t want to put Murph in a situation where he has to do something like that,” he said. “Unfortunately, he had to fire Randy (Carlyle) and I think that we need to start rewarding him for that.”
Read what you will into that last part about wanting to “reward” Murray for firing Carlyle. Reward him for the courage to make a tough move? Or reward him for firing a coach the players wanted fired?
Could be both.
Especially on PHT!
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 4
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)