Jan 6, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
Ryan Getzlaf doesn’t want to be traded. If he could, he’d be an Anaheim Duck for the rest of his career.
“I want to be part of [the solution in Anaheim] more than anything,” Getzlaf told the OC Register yesterday. “In junior, I played for the same team my whole career and I kind of imagined the same things when I came here and still do.”
Not that he has the final say in whether he stays or goes. Getzlaf doesn’t have a no-trade clause and Ducks general manager Bob Murray has said the only “untouchables” on the struggling team are Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu.
The Toronto media is already wondering if Getzlaf, who’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013, could be dealt to the Maple Leafs.
However, that’s not what Getzlaf wants.
“I don’t want to put Murph in a situation where he has to do something like that,” he said. “Unfortunately, he had to fire Randy (Carlyle) and I think that we need to start rewarding him for that.”
Read what you will into that last part about wanting to “reward” Murray for firing Carlyle. Reward him for the courage to make a tough move? Or reward him for firing a coach the players wanted fired?
Could be both.
Especially on PHT!
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)