Jan 6, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
Ryan Getzlaf doesn’t want to be traded. If he could, he’d be an Anaheim Duck for the rest of his career.
“I want to be part of [the solution in Anaheim] more than anything,” Getzlaf told the OC Register yesterday. “In junior, I played for the same team my whole career and I kind of imagined the same things when I came here and still do.”
Not that he has the final say in whether he stays or goes. Getzlaf doesn’t have a no-trade clause and Ducks general manager Bob Murray has said the only “untouchables” on the struggling team are Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu.
The Toronto media is already wondering if Getzlaf, who’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013, could be dealt to the Maple Leafs.
However, that’s not what Getzlaf wants.
“I don’t want to put Murph in a situation where he has to do something like that,” he said. “Unfortunately, he had to fire Randy (Carlyle) and I think that we need to start rewarding him for that.”
Read what you will into that last part about wanting to “reward” Murray for firing Carlyle. Reward him for the courage to make a tough move? Or reward him for firing a coach the players wanted fired?
Could be both.
Especially on PHT!
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 14
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)