Jan 6, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
Ryan Getzlaf doesn’t want to be traded. If he could, he’d be an Anaheim Duck for the rest of his career.
“I want to be part of [the solution in Anaheim] more than anything,” Getzlaf told the OC Register yesterday. “In junior, I played for the same team my whole career and I kind of imagined the same things when I came here and still do.”
Not that he has the final say in whether he stays or goes. Getzlaf doesn’t have a no-trade clause and Ducks general manager Bob Murray has said the only “untouchables” on the struggling team are Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu.
The Toronto media is already wondering if Getzlaf, who’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013, could be dealt to the Maple Leafs.
However, that’s not what Getzlaf wants.
“I don’t want to put Murph in a situation where he has to do something like that,” he said. “Unfortunately, he had to fire Randy (Carlyle) and I think that we need to start rewarding him for that.”
Read what you will into that last part about wanting to “reward” Murray for firing Carlyle. Reward him for the courage to make a tough move? Or reward him for firing a coach the players wanted fired?
Could be both.
Especially on PHT!
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 3
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 7
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 54
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination