Jan 6, 2012, 12:22 PM EST
Ryan Getzlaf doesn’t want to be traded. If he could, he’d be an Anaheim Duck for the rest of his career.
“I want to be part of [the solution in Anaheim] more than anything,” Getzlaf told the OC Register yesterday. “In junior, I played for the same team my whole career and I kind of imagined the same things when I came here and still do.”
Not that he has the final say in whether he stays or goes. Getzlaf doesn’t have a no-trade clause and Ducks general manager Bob Murray has said the only “untouchables” on the struggling team are Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu.
The Toronto media is already wondering if Getzlaf, who’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013, could be dealt to the Maple Leafs.
However, that’s not what Getzlaf wants.
“I don’t want to put Murph in a situation where he has to do something like that,” he said. “Unfortunately, he had to fire Randy (Carlyle) and I think that we need to start rewarding him for that.”
Read what you will into that last part about wanting to “reward” Murray for firing Carlyle. Reward him for the courage to make a tough move? Or reward him for firing a coach the players wanted fired?
Could be both.
Especially on PHT!
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)