Jan 6, 2012, 6:38 PM EDT
Colton Orr wants to prove he’s more than just a fighter. The 29-year-old who was put on waivers and sent down to the Maple Leafs’ AHL team this week is hoping to use his stint in the minors to get back into game shape and develop the kind of hockey skills that don’t involve punching people in the face.
“The game’s evolving and changing, so you kind of have to go with it,” Orr said today, as per the Toronto Star. “I’m never going to give up. I’m going to keep working and do what it takes…and see where it goes.
“There’s still room for power forwards, checking forwards, a little fight once in a while.”
Orr played only five games for the Leafs this season, averaging just 4:29 of ice time per contest.
Twice Orr has appeared in all 82 games of an NHL season, but his job description has always been a narrow one – protect your teammates.
Unfortunately for players like Orr, there are fewer and fewer pure enforcers in today’s game. Coaches want to roll four lines, and they want their fourth liners to be responsible defensively, kill penalties and get in on the forecheck.
“It’s been a bit of a transition, so you’re not seeing the fighters in the game as much and you’re seeing a lot of speed,” said Orr. “The game has changed.”
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)