Jan 6, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
Yesterday we saw the fruits of Ottawa voters’ labor pay off as four Senators were named as starters to the All-Star Game. For many writers and fans in Philadelphia that didn’t sit too well as one of the NHL’s leading scorers, Claude Giroux, didn’t make the cut.
For Giroux, however, he wants everyone to know that it’s totally OK he didn’t get voted in as he shares with CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio.
“It’s in Ottawa, they want Ottawa players there, that’s fine,” he said. “I’m not going to judge the way they do. It doesn’t really matter. It seriously doesn’t bother me.
“If I do go back it will be pretty cool, I have family and friends there, but I have bigger things to worry about right now.”
Anyone upset that any of their favorite top players didn’t get voted on is missing the big picture and what the voting process was all about anyway. The hometown fans wanted their guys to make the game and that’s fine. There are 36 other stars (at least) that will get chosen and others that will get subbed in inevitably thanks to injury.
All-Star Game votes are rarely given out on merit and besides, there will be six other guys that will be getting the start in Ottawa later on. Now if Giroux doesn’t get named to the team at all, then we can fire up the torches and pitchforks.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (60)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)