Jan 6, 2012, 11:23 AM EST
Yesterday we saw the fruits of Ottawa voters’ labor pay off as four Senators were named as starters to the All-Star Game. For many writers and fans in Philadelphia that didn’t sit too well as one of the NHL’s leading scorers, Claude Giroux, didn’t make the cut.
For Giroux, however, he wants everyone to know that it’s totally OK he didn’t get voted in as he shares with CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio.
“It’s in Ottawa, they want Ottawa players there, that’s fine,” he said. “I’m not going to judge the way they do. It doesn’t really matter. It seriously doesn’t bother me.
“If I do go back it will be pretty cool, I have family and friends there, but I have bigger things to worry about right now.”
Anyone upset that any of their favorite top players didn’t get voted on is missing the big picture and what the voting process was all about anyway. The hometown fans wanted their guys to make the game and that’s fine. There are 36 other stars (at least) that will get chosen and others that will get subbed in inevitably thanks to injury.
All-Star Game votes are rarely given out on merit and besides, there will be six other guys that will be getting the start in Ottawa later on. Now if Giroux doesn’t get named to the team at all, then we can fire up the torches and pitchforks.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)