Jan 5, 2012, 12:44 AM EDT
It’s no secret that there’s some genuine hatred among some fans involved in the New York Rangers-Philadelphia Flyers rivalry, but rarely does it get as stomach-churning as it did outside Geno’s Steaks on Jan. 2. The Philadelphia Police Department is on the lookout for several Flyers fans who savagely attacked Rangers fans outside of the famous eatery.
In fact, there’s actually low-quality video of the brutal attack, which you can see below via Broadstreet Hockey/Barstool Sports. (Warning: there’s some truly disturbing violence in this footage, so beware.)
The Newark Star-Ledger’s Tom Haydon reports that one of the Rangers fans was an off-duty police officer from Woodbridge, N. J.
This situation was ugly and strange enough based on the video alone, but it took another odd twist when someone (sort of?) came forward as a guilty party on Broadstreet Hockey’s Facebook page. As usual with these situations, the person in question went from inexplicably boasting about the crime to backtracking then finally deleting whatever he could in the process. (You can follow the bizarre and disturbing series of events here.)
It’s incidents like these that make sports fans – not just ones from Philly – look really bad. Wearing an opposing team’s jersey in “enemy territory” should be a question of personal style, not a major gamble for your safety.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)