Jan 5, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
This feature profiles an NHLer that’s making noise on the Twitter machine.
When Mike Richards was shipped off to Los Angeles this summer, many wondered how the former Flyers captain would react to the move. Richards had, after all, spent the majority of his hockey career in decidedly cold-weather, blue-collar cities — first in Kitchener, Ontario (where he served as the captain of the OHL’s Rangers) then in Philly, where he wore a letter on his sweater for four of six seasons.
The captaincies suggest he wasn’t just a player on these teams — he was the face of the franchise, the leader, the guy people identified with the organization.
Kinda funny, then, how that same guy now spends his days surfing and wearing sheepskin-lined footwear.
Anyone else envisioning Richards walking down the Venice Boardwalk in UGG boots like Jason Segel in I Love You, Man? Or is that just me?
I also have to point out that Richards took a decidedly laid-back approach to getting rid of his Christmas tree which, as of Jan. 3, was still standing.
The hat’s a nice touch.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 3
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 34
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54