Jan 5, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
This feature profiles an NHLer that’s making noise on the Twitter machine.
When Mike Richards was shipped off to Los Angeles this summer, many wondered how the former Flyers captain would react to the move. Richards had, after all, spent the majority of his hockey career in decidedly cold-weather, blue-collar cities — first in Kitchener, Ontario (where he served as the captain of the OHL’s Rangers) then in Philly, where he wore a letter on his sweater for four of six seasons.
The captaincies suggest he wasn’t just a player on these teams — he was the face of the franchise, the leader, the guy people identified with the organization.
Kinda funny, then, how that same guy now spends his days surfing and wearing sheepskin-lined footwear.
Anyone else envisioning Richards walking down the Venice Boardwalk in UGG boots like Jason Segel in I Love You, Man? Or is that just me?
I also have to point out that Richards took a decidedly laid-back approach to getting rid of his Christmas tree which, as of Jan. 3, was still standing.
The hat’s a nice touch.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 22
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 12
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54