Jan 5, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
This feature profiles an NHLer that’s making noise on the Twitter machine.
When Mike Richards was shipped off to Los Angeles this summer, many wondered how the former Flyers captain would react to the move. Richards had, after all, spent the majority of his hockey career in decidedly cold-weather, blue-collar cities — first in Kitchener, Ontario (where he served as the captain of the OHL’s Rangers) then in Philly, where he wore a letter on his sweater for four of six seasons.
The captaincies suggest he wasn’t just a player on these teams — he was the face of the franchise, the leader, the guy people identified with the organization.
Kinda funny, then, how that same guy now spends his days surfing and wearing sheepskin-lined footwear.
Anyone else envisioning Richards walking down the Venice Boardwalk in UGG boots like Jason Segel in I Love You, Man? Or is that just me?
I also have to point out that Richards took a decidedly laid-back approach to getting rid of his Christmas tree which, as of Jan. 3, was still standing.
The hat’s a nice touch.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)