Jan 5, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
This feature profiles an NHLer that’s making noise on the Twitter machine.
When Mike Richards was shipped off to Los Angeles this summer, many wondered how the former Flyers captain would react to the move. Richards had, after all, spent the majority of his hockey career in decidedly cold-weather, blue-collar cities — first in Kitchener, Ontario (where he served as the captain of the OHL’s Rangers) then in Philly, where he wore a letter on his sweater for four of six seasons.
The captaincies suggest he wasn’t just a player on these teams — he was the face of the franchise, the leader, the guy people identified with the organization.
Kinda funny, then, how that same guy now spends his days surfing and wearing sheepskin-lined footwear.
Anyone else envisioning Richards walking down the Venice Boardwalk in UGG boots like Jason Segel in I Love You, Man? Or is that just me?
I also have to point out that Richards took a decidedly laid-back approach to getting rid of his Christmas tree which, as of Jan. 3, was still standing.
The hat’s a nice touch.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)