Jan 5, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT
Some Stats is a weekly feature that will run every Thursday on PHT. In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
42 – Points for Edmonton’s Jordan Eberle. Just six fewer than Henrik Sedin, the NHL’s scoring leader. And here’s the kicker: Eberle only plays 17:01 per game. In terms of points per time on ice, the 21-year-old ranks behind only Evgeni Malkin and Claude Giroux (min. 30 games). Should be interesting to see how Eberle, 21, does without linemate Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who’s expected to miss 3-4 weeks with a shoulder injury.
1.45 – Jaroslav Halak’s goals-against average in his last eight games. The Blues’ netminder hasn’t lost in regulation since Nov. 22, and according to stltoday.com, might be “grabbing” the starting role in St. Louis. Brian Elliott, meanwhile, has three regulation losses in his last four starts. Though to be fair to Elliott, the Blues haven’t given him much goal support – a problem Halak faced earlier in the season.
2 – Power-play points (0G, 2A) for Montreal’s Tomas Kaberle since being traded from Carolina. The 33-year-old offensive defenseman has played 11 games in a Habs uniform but hasn’t been able to help a power play that ranks last in the NHL (12.6%). Granted, Kaberle does have six even-strength points, so the trade hasn’t been a disaster.
5 – Teams that have yet to lose after leading at the end of the second period. Vancouver, Boston, Washington, Detroit and Dallas have all been perfect at protecting leads after 40 minutes. Columbus, meanwhile, has won just half of the games it’s led after two periods. Which is just awful.
.800 – Chicago’s winning percentage when outshot by its opponent. Yet another reason the NHL needs to start tracking “quality” shots, not just “any old” shots. How are the Blackhawks pulling this off? Are they going into a shell when they get leads and forcing opponents to fire shots from the perimeter? Or, are their goalies bailing them out in games they don’t deserve to win? Stat nerds demand answers!
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 7
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 17
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner