Jan 5, 2012, 4:27 PM EST
Some Stats is a weekly feature that will run every Thursday on PHT. In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
42 – Points for Edmonton’s Jordan Eberle. Just six fewer than Henrik Sedin, the NHL’s scoring leader. And here’s the kicker: Eberle only plays 17:01 per game. In terms of points per time on ice, the 21-year-old ranks behind only Evgeni Malkin and Claude Giroux (min. 30 games). Should be interesting to see how Eberle, 21, does without linemate Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who’s expected to miss 3-4 weeks with a shoulder injury.
1.45 – Jaroslav Halak’s goals-against average in his last eight games. The Blues’ netminder hasn’t lost in regulation since Nov. 22, and according to stltoday.com, might be “grabbing” the starting role in St. Louis. Brian Elliott, meanwhile, has three regulation losses in his last four starts. Though to be fair to Elliott, the Blues haven’t given him much goal support – a problem Halak faced earlier in the season.
2 – Power-play points (0G, 2A) for Montreal’s Tomas Kaberle since being traded from Carolina. The 33-year-old offensive defenseman has played 11 games in a Habs uniform but hasn’t been able to help a power play that ranks last in the NHL (12.6%). Granted, Kaberle does have six even-strength points, so the trade hasn’t been a disaster.
5 – Teams that have yet to lose after leading at the end of the second period. Vancouver, Boston, Washington, Detroit and Dallas have all been perfect at protecting leads after 40 minutes. Columbus, meanwhile, has won just half of the games it’s led after two periods. Which is just awful.
.800 – Chicago’s winning percentage when outshot by its opponent. Yet another reason the NHL needs to start tracking “quality” shots, not just “any old” shots. How are the Blackhawks pulling this off? Are they going into a shell when they get leads and forcing opponents to fire shots from the perimeter? Or, are their goalies bailing them out in games they don’t deserve to win? Stat nerds demand answers!
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 63
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 11
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (69)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)