Jan 5, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT
Some Stats is a weekly feature that will run every Thursday on PHT. In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
42 – Points for Edmonton’s Jordan Eberle. Just six fewer than Henrik Sedin, the NHL’s scoring leader. And here’s the kicker: Eberle only plays 17:01 per game. In terms of points per time on ice, the 21-year-old ranks behind only Evgeni Malkin and Claude Giroux (min. 30 games). Should be interesting to see how Eberle, 21, does without linemate Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who’s expected to miss 3-4 weeks with a shoulder injury.
1.45 – Jaroslav Halak’s goals-against average in his last eight games. The Blues’ netminder hasn’t lost in regulation since Nov. 22, and according to stltoday.com, might be “grabbing” the starting role in St. Louis. Brian Elliott, meanwhile, has three regulation losses in his last four starts. Though to be fair to Elliott, the Blues haven’t given him much goal support – a problem Halak faced earlier in the season.
2 – Power-play points (0G, 2A) for Montreal’s Tomas Kaberle since being traded from Carolina. The 33-year-old offensive defenseman has played 11 games in a Habs uniform but hasn’t been able to help a power play that ranks last in the NHL (12.6%). Granted, Kaberle does have six even-strength points, so the trade hasn’t been a disaster.
5 – Teams that have yet to lose after leading at the end of the second period. Vancouver, Boston, Washington, Detroit and Dallas have all been perfect at protecting leads after 40 minutes. Columbus, meanwhile, has won just half of the games it’s led after two periods. Which is just awful.
.800 – Chicago’s winning percentage when outshot by its opponent. Yet another reason the NHL needs to start tracking “quality” shots, not just “any old” shots. How are the Blackhawks pulling this off? Are they going into a shell when they get leads and forcing opponents to fire shots from the perimeter? Or, are their goalies bailing them out in games they don’t deserve to win? Stat nerds demand answers!
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)