Jan 5, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT
Some Stats is a weekly feature that will run every Thursday on PHT. In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
42 – Points for Edmonton’s Jordan Eberle. Just six fewer than Henrik Sedin, the NHL’s scoring leader. And here’s the kicker: Eberle only plays 17:01 per game. In terms of points per time on ice, the 21-year-old ranks behind only Evgeni Malkin and Claude Giroux (min. 30 games). Should be interesting to see how Eberle, 21, does without linemate Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who’s expected to miss 3-4 weeks with a shoulder injury.
1.45 – Jaroslav Halak’s goals-against average in his last eight games. The Blues’ netminder hasn’t lost in regulation since Nov. 22, and according to stltoday.com, might be “grabbing” the starting role in St. Louis. Brian Elliott, meanwhile, has three regulation losses in his last four starts. Though to be fair to Elliott, the Blues haven’t given him much goal support – a problem Halak faced earlier in the season.
2 – Power-play points (0G, 2A) for Montreal’s Tomas Kaberle since being traded from Carolina. The 33-year-old offensive defenseman has played 11 games in a Habs uniform but hasn’t been able to help a power play that ranks last in the NHL (12.6%). Granted, Kaberle does have six even-strength points, so the trade hasn’t been a disaster.
5 – Teams that have yet to lose after leading at the end of the second period. Vancouver, Boston, Washington, Detroit and Dallas have all been perfect at protecting leads after 40 minutes. Columbus, meanwhile, has won just half of the games it’s led after two periods. Which is just awful.
.800 – Chicago’s winning percentage when outshot by its opponent. Yet another reason the NHL needs to start tracking “quality” shots, not just “any old” shots. How are the Blackhawks pulling this off? Are they going into a shell when they get leads and forcing opponents to fire shots from the perimeter? Or, are their goalies bailing them out in games they don’t deserve to win? Stat nerds demand answers!
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5