Jan 5, 2012, 9:08 AM EDT
If you thought the possibility of the Ducks dealing any of their big three could get your attention, then the chance that Rick Nash could be had as well should have you on the edge of your seat.
Nash tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch that if the Blue Jackets were looking to improve the team and thought that trading him would do the trick, Nash wouldn’t stop them from doing it.
“The city of Columbus deserves a winner and deserves a good product on the ice. If it comes to that — like you said, all speculation — but if they don’t want me here, they want to move me? I’m not going to do something where it’s going to hurt the franchise just because I have that in my contract.”
If Nash keeps talking like that, they’ll build a statue of him by the time his career is over. Whether that’s in Columbus or not depends on what’s going through GM Scott Howson’s head.
There’s little doubt that the Blue Jackets could command a king’s ransom for Nash. He’s a potentially dominating left wing and if put in a situation where he’s got a legit playmaker he’s the sort of player that can swing the balance of power in a playoff race.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)