Jan 5, 2012, 11:21 PM EDT
Shea Weber‘s concussion didn’t keep him out of the Nashville Predators’ lineup for very long, and to be honest, they did more than survive. The Preds actually went 3-1-0 in that tiny sample of games without their superstar defenseman.
Still, his interestingly-timed return against the very team that injured him* was likely a relief, even if the results weren’t great. The Predators dropped a 4-1 loss to the Dallas Stars while Weber’s night had its ups and downs. (Example: Weber told Josh Cooper that his conditioning seems fine, but his hands “weren’t quite where [he] wanted them to be.”)
On the negative side, he registered a -2 rating and couldn’t manage a point in the game. It’s possible that medium-sized rust might explain the situation – or maybe the Stars were just better.
That being said, Weber and the Preds can take some positives away from the experience. Barry Trotz didn’t exactly ease him back into the lineup as Weber was second only to his partner Ryan Suter in time on ice. (Weber played for just under 26 minutes while Suter registered a little more than 28.)
Dirk Hoag points to Weber’s +4 Corsi rating, which could indicate that more good things happened when he was on the ice than not, even if that plus/minus didn’t work out too well.
As we’ve seen with the bad side (Sidney Crosby) and the so-far good side (Claude Giroux) of concussion comebacks, Weber’s troubles aren’t necessarily over. The Predators will settle for him being back in the lineup for now, though.
* – I’d venture to say that Nashville is the only place where Mark Fistric morphs from semi-anonymous hitter to villainous defenseman, but I could be wrong.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 5
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)