Jan 5, 2012, 3:24 PM EDT
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins‘ rookie of the year hopes took a hit today as the Oilers announced he’ll miss the next 3-4 weeks with a shoulder injury. The news comes just three days after Nuge hurt his shoulder against Chicago and one day after leaving the Oilers’ current road trip to fly back to Edmonton for medical testing.
It’s a big loss for the Oilers. Being without their prized rookie for a month is one thing, but RNH is the team’s second-leading scorer and key setup-man on the powerplay — his 15 PP assists are double that of the No. 2 guy, Jordan Eberle, who has seven.
The injury also blows the Calder Trophy race wide open. Reigning NHL Rookie of the Month Adam Henrique is charging hard and now just seven points back of Nugent-Hopkins for the rookie scoring lead, but there are plenty of others in the mix. Vancouver’s Cody Hodgson (9G-13A-22PTS) has seven points in his last 10 games and seems to have found his groove, Philadelphia’s Matt Read is getting first-line minutes with Claude Giroux/Scott Hartnell and Craig Smith is still Nashville’s top-scoring forward.
If the Nuge misses up to four weeks of action, he could find himself in a real dogfight for a trophy that was all but his after an outstanding first three months.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 0
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 1
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (67)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)