Jan 5, 2012, 10:29 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers attained a sliver of payback for the 2010 Stanley Cup finals by winning a thriller against the Chicago Blackhawks 4-3. Unfortunately, as per their custom, a great win came at what could be a heavy cost.
The Flyers’ rapidly thinning defense corps took what could be a big hit as Kimmo Timonen left the game twice with what’s being called an upper-body injury, according to Sam Carchidi. It’s quite possible that it won’t be a major issue, but Flyers Goal Scored By captured what could be a fearful scenario:
(Note: Lilja isn’t very good.)
Doom and gloom aside, the Flyers took advantage of their explosive offense to win in regulation. Philly took a 4-2 lead in the second period thanks to a three-goal outburst in less than five minutes and then dug the knife in deep when James van Riemsdyk scored a power-play game-winner with about 30 seconds to go.
It won’t heal all the wounds from that championship defeat (I’d put it far lower on the revenge scale than the Miami Heat’s season-opening throttling of the Dallas Mavericks), but one cannot blame the Flyers for taking some satisfaction from this one.
After all, if Timonen is out for an extended period of time, these wins might get even tougher to come by.
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 0
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 44
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)