Jan 5, 2012, 10:29 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers attained a sliver of payback for the 2010 Stanley Cup finals by winning a thriller against the Chicago Blackhawks 4-3. Unfortunately, as per their custom, a great win came at what could be a heavy cost.
The Flyers’ rapidly thinning defense corps took what could be a big hit as Kimmo Timonen left the game twice with what’s being called an upper-body injury, according to Sam Carchidi. It’s quite possible that it won’t be a major issue, but Flyers Goal Scored By captured what could be a fearful scenario:
(Note: Lilja isn’t very good.)
Doom and gloom aside, the Flyers took advantage of their explosive offense to win in regulation. Philly took a 4-2 lead in the second period thanks to a three-goal outburst in less than five minutes and then dug the knife in deep when James van Riemsdyk scored a power-play game-winner with about 30 seconds to go.
It won’t heal all the wounds from that championship defeat (I’d put it far lower on the revenge scale than the Miami Heat’s season-opening throttling of the Dallas Mavericks), but one cannot blame the Flyers for taking some satisfaction from this one.
After all, if Timonen is out for an extended period of time, these wins might get even tougher to come by.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)