Jan 5, 2012, 10:29 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers attained a sliver of payback for the 2010 Stanley Cup finals by winning a thriller against the Chicago Blackhawks 4-3. Unfortunately, as per their custom, a great win came at what could be a heavy cost.
The Flyers’ rapidly thinning defense corps took what could be a big hit as Kimmo Timonen left the game twice with what’s being called an upper-body injury, according to Sam Carchidi. It’s quite possible that it won’t be a major issue, but Flyers Goal Scored By captured what could be a fearful scenario:
(Note: Lilja isn’t very good.)
Doom and gloom aside, the Flyers took advantage of their explosive offense to win in regulation. Philly took a 4-2 lead in the second period thanks to a three-goal outburst in less than five minutes and then dug the knife in deep when James van Riemsdyk scored a power-play game-winner with about 30 seconds to go.
It won’t heal all the wounds from that championship defeat (I’d put it far lower on the revenge scale than the Miami Heat’s season-opening throttling of the Dallas Mavericks), but one cannot blame the Flyers for taking some satisfaction from this one.
After all, if Timonen is out for an extended period of time, these wins might get even tougher to come by.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 92
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 92
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 103
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (123)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (104)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (100)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (94)