Jan 5, 2012, 8:45 AM EST
After almost two years, the Chicago Blackhawks are back in Philadelphia. The Hawks haven’t played a game in Philly since Patrick Kane beat Michael Leighton in overtime of Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals to win it all for Chicago. That changes tonight.
Blackhawks players and coaches think fondly of Philadelphia. CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers hears it from captain Jonathan Toews about what it’s like to be back where their biggest accomplishment happened.
“It’s been a long time, but just to be back we’ll have some old stories we can tell,” Toews said. “I’m sure the new guys are sick enough of hearing about all that stuff. We’ll just have a couple more days of it, I guess.”
Joel Quenneville was a bit more pleased with his memories of that night.
“What a moment. What a cigar,” Quenneville said with a laugh.
As for the Flyers, they’re not exactly too excited to relive those moments of failure on home ice all over again as Zach Berman of Philly.com finds out from Danny Briere.
“Every time it comes on, I’ll change the channel or close my eyes,” Briere said. “I don’t think I’m ready to see it yet.”
Making things even stranger is that Leighton, who started and lost Game 6, will also be playing in Philly tomorrow night. The exception being that he’ll be suiting up for the Flyers’ AHL team against the Hershey Bears outdoors at Citizens Bank Park on the Winter Classic ice sheet.
About the only similarity between the two teams now is that both are at the top of the class of their conferences now and, if things broke right, could see each other in the finals all over again.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 18
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 19
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 39
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9