Jan 5, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
After almost two years, the Chicago Blackhawks are back in Philadelphia. The Hawks haven’t played a game in Philly since Patrick Kane beat Michael Leighton in overtime of Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals to win it all for Chicago. That changes tonight.
Blackhawks players and coaches think fondly of Philadelphia. CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers hears it from captain Jonathan Toews about what it’s like to be back where their biggest accomplishment happened.
“It’s been a long time, but just to be back we’ll have some old stories we can tell,” Toews said. “I’m sure the new guys are sick enough of hearing about all that stuff. We’ll just have a couple more days of it, I guess.”
Joel Quenneville was a bit more pleased with his memories of that night.
“What a moment. What a cigar,” Quenneville said with a laugh.
As for the Flyers, they’re not exactly too excited to relive those moments of failure on home ice all over again as Zach Berman of Philly.com finds out from Danny Briere.
“Every time it comes on, I’ll change the channel or close my eyes,” Briere said. “I don’t think I’m ready to see it yet.”
Making things even stranger is that Leighton, who started and lost Game 6, will also be playing in Philly tomorrow night. The exception being that he’ll be suiting up for the Flyers’ AHL team against the Hershey Bears outdoors at Citizens Bank Park on the Winter Classic ice sheet.
About the only similarity between the two teams now is that both are at the top of the class of their conferences now and, if things broke right, could see each other in the finals all over again.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)