Jan 5, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
After almost two years, the Chicago Blackhawks are back in Philadelphia. The Hawks haven’t played a game in Philly since Patrick Kane beat Michael Leighton in overtime of Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals to win it all for Chicago. That changes tonight.
Blackhawks players and coaches think fondly of Philadelphia. CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers hears it from captain Jonathan Toews about what it’s like to be back where their biggest accomplishment happened.
“It’s been a long time, but just to be back we’ll have some old stories we can tell,” Toews said. “I’m sure the new guys are sick enough of hearing about all that stuff. We’ll just have a couple more days of it, I guess.”
Joel Quenneville was a bit more pleased with his memories of that night.
“What a moment. What a cigar,” Quenneville said with a laugh.
As for the Flyers, they’re not exactly too excited to relive those moments of failure on home ice all over again as Zach Berman of Philly.com finds out from Danny Briere.
“Every time it comes on, I’ll change the channel or close my eyes,” Briere said. “I don’t think I’m ready to see it yet.”
Making things even stranger is that Leighton, who started and lost Game 6, will also be playing in Philly tomorrow night. The exception being that he’ll be suiting up for the Flyers’ AHL team against the Hershey Bears outdoors at Citizens Bank Park on the Winter Classic ice sheet.
About the only similarity between the two teams now is that both are at the top of the class of their conferences now and, if things broke right, could see each other in the finals all over again.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)