Jan 5, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
After almost two years, the Chicago Blackhawks are back in Philadelphia. The Hawks haven’t played a game in Philly since Patrick Kane beat Michael Leighton in overtime of Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals to win it all for Chicago. That changes tonight.
Blackhawks players and coaches think fondly of Philadelphia. CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers hears it from captain Jonathan Toews about what it’s like to be back where their biggest accomplishment happened.
“It’s been a long time, but just to be back we’ll have some old stories we can tell,” Toews said. “I’m sure the new guys are sick enough of hearing about all that stuff. We’ll just have a couple more days of it, I guess.”
Joel Quenneville was a bit more pleased with his memories of that night.
“What a moment. What a cigar,” Quenneville said with a laugh.
As for the Flyers, they’re not exactly too excited to relive those moments of failure on home ice all over again as Zach Berman of Philly.com finds out from Danny Briere.
“Every time it comes on, I’ll change the channel or close my eyes,” Briere said. “I don’t think I’m ready to see it yet.”
Making things even stranger is that Leighton, who started and lost Game 6, will also be playing in Philly tomorrow night. The exception being that he’ll be suiting up for the Flyers’ AHL team against the Hershey Bears outdoors at Citizens Bank Park on the Winter Classic ice sheet.
About the only similarity between the two teams now is that both are at the top of the class of their conferences now and, if things broke right, could see each other in the finals all over again.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39