Jan 5, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
Bernie Nicholls scored 475 goals in 1,127 regular-season NHL games. Most of those goals came with the Los Angeles Kings, including a 70-goal season in 1988-89 on a team that not-so-coincidentally featured Wayne Gretzky.
These days, Nicholls is trying to help the current Kings fill the net. The 50-year-old has been brought in as a “casual” consultant by new coach Darryl Sutter.
The Pumper Nicholler pulled no punches in assessing L.A.’s offense under former coach Terry Murray.
“…for a skilled team, it’s sad to say but they were terrible to watch,” said Nicholls, as per the Los Angeles Times. “They may get 15 shots in a game and you’re going, ‘Wow.’ They’ve got too much skill and too much offense to do that.”
The Kings still rank dead last in offense, averaging 2.1 goals per game. However, they’ve managed four goals in two of their last five games. So…progress?
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 8
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)