Jan 5, 2012, 12:38 PM EST
Florida forward Krys Barch has been suspended one game for making “inappropriate comments” towards Montreal’s PK Subban. According to George Richards of the Miami Herald, Barch asked Subban if he “slipped on a banana peel” after falling in a first-period tussle with Erik Gudbranson.
More, from Richards:
The incident occurred during a Dec. 31 game between the Panthers and Canadiens. The Miami Herald — citing an anonymous league official — said linesman Darren Gibbs heard Barch’s verbal exchange with Subban, interpreted Barch’s comments as racial in nature and ejected Barch based on NHL Rule 23.7 (iii) — game misconduct for racial taunts or slurs.
Shortly thereafter Barch’s agent, Scott Norton, told the Herald his client was innocent.
“Krys’ commentary to me is that he did say something,” Norton said. “At the end of the day, we’re confident there will be no further punishment and he will be cleared of wrong doing and his name will be cleared.”
The investigation of and punishment for this incident was handled by NHL Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. Sensitivities may have been heightened to Barch’s comments after a preseason incident where a fan threw a banana at Philadelphia Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds. The fan later claimed he was unaware of the racial overtones of his actions.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 0
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 28
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)