Jan 5, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
Florida forward Krys Barch has been suspended one game for making “inappropriate comments” towards Montreal’s PK Subban. According to George Richards of the Miami Herald, Barch asked Subban if he “slipped on a banana peel” after falling in a first-period tussle with Erik Gudbranson.
More, from Richards:
The incident occurred during a Dec. 31 game between the Panthers and Canadiens. The Miami Herald — citing an anonymous league official — said linesman Darren Gibbs heard Barch’s verbal exchange with Subban, interpreted Barch’s comments as racial in nature and ejected Barch based on NHL Rule 23.7 (iii) — game misconduct for racial taunts or slurs.
Shortly thereafter Barch’s agent, Scott Norton, told the Herald his client was innocent.
“Krys’ commentary to me is that he did say something,” Norton said. “At the end of the day, we’re confident there will be no further punishment and he will be cleared of wrong doing and his name will be cleared.”
The investigation of and punishment for this incident was handled by NHL Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. Sensitivities may have been heightened to Barch’s comments after a preseason incident where a fan threw a banana at Philadelphia Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds. The fan later claimed he was unaware of the racial overtones of his actions.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 41
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 17
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 16
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 96
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead