Jan 4, 2012, 2:21 PM EDT
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford wants the Winter Classic to come to his city.
Downsview Park is a former military base that accommodated 800,000 people when Pope John Paul II visited in 2002. It also hosted a massive benefit rock concert in 2003, with approximately half a million in attendance to see acts like Justin Timberlake, The Guess Who, Rush, AC/DC, and The Rolling Stones.
Apropos of nothing, Ford was once kicked out of a Leafs game for getting wasted and yelling obscenities. Then he lied about it. Then he admitted it.
Don Cherry’s a big fan.
Related: Toronto wants to host Winter Classic
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 59
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5