Jan 4, 2012, 2:21 PM EDT
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford wants the Winter Classic to come to his city.
Downsview Park is a former military base that accommodated 800,000 people when Pope John Paul II visited in 2002. It also hosted a massive benefit rock concert in 2003, with approximately half a million in attendance to see acts like Justin Timberlake, The Guess Who, Rush, AC/DC, and The Rolling Stones.
Apropos of nothing, Ford was once kicked out of a Leafs game for getting wasted and yelling obscenities. Then he lied about it. Then he admitted it.
Don Cherry’s a big fan.
Related: Toronto wants to host Winter Classic
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 0
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 13
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 31
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 44
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10