Jan 4, 2012, 2:21 PM EST
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford wants the Winter Classic to come to his city.
Downsview Park is a former military base that accommodated 800,000 people when Pope John Paul II visited in 2002. It also hosted a massive benefit rock concert in 2003, with approximately half a million in attendance to see acts like Justin Timberlake, The Guess Who, Rush, AC/DC, and The Rolling Stones.
Apropos of nothing, Ford was once kicked out of a Leafs game for getting wasted and yelling obscenities. Then he lied about it. Then he admitted it.
Don Cherry’s a big fan.
Related: Toronto wants to host Winter Classic
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 86
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (87)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)