Jan 4, 2012, 2:21 PM EDT
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford wants the Winter Classic to come to his city.
Downsview Park is a former military base that accommodated 800,000 people when Pope John Paul II visited in 2002. It also hosted a massive benefit rock concert in 2003, with approximately half a million in attendance to see acts like Justin Timberlake, The Guess Who, Rush, AC/DC, and The Rolling Stones.
Apropos of nothing, Ford was once kicked out of a Leafs game for getting wasted and yelling obscenities. Then he lied about it. Then he admitted it.
Don Cherry’s a big fan.
Related: Toronto wants to host Winter Classic
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)