Jan 4, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT
Might as well kick the hype machine into gear now. This Saturday (1 p.m. ET), the Vancouver Canucks are in Boston to play the Bruins for the first time since Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.
“Oh, it’s going to be interesting,” said Marchand. “I know that the fans and everybody else are going to be into it. It’ll be good to get it over with. I don’t think I’ve ever even talked about it once this year, though.
“It’s just another game in our minds, though. I haven’t heard any of the guys even talking about it once yet. We both realize nothing is going to change what happened last year. It doesn’t matter how they come in and play. It’s only one game.”
Marchand’s right that it won’t change what happened in June, but let’s be honest – this won’t be “only one game,” particularly for Vancouver.
As such, it will be interesting to see how the Canucks approach it.
Will they try to goad the Bruins into penalties and capitalize on the power play, a strategy that’s been hugely successful against most teams but failed miserably in the final?
Or, will they be tempted to prove their toughness by engaging in a physical affair with what many consider the toughest team in the NHL?
Remember, the Canucks couldn’t really get their revenge on Marchand for repeatedly jabbing Daniel Sedin in the face at the end of Game 6. Not in Game 7. Not with a Stanley Cup on the line.
And for those who say they should’ve done it at the time, watch the clip. Did anyone on the Canucks even see Marchand and Sedin standing off to the side?
Looks like they all had their hands full.
Saturday will be different. With no Cup on the line, expect fireworks.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)