Jan 4, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT
Might as well kick the hype machine into gear now. This Saturday (1 p.m. ET), the Vancouver Canucks are in Boston to play the Bruins for the first time since Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.
“Oh, it’s going to be interesting,” said Marchand. “I know that the fans and everybody else are going to be into it. It’ll be good to get it over with. I don’t think I’ve ever even talked about it once this year, though.
“It’s just another game in our minds, though. I haven’t heard any of the guys even talking about it once yet. We both realize nothing is going to change what happened last year. It doesn’t matter how they come in and play. It’s only one game.”
Marchand’s right that it won’t change what happened in June, but let’s be honest – this won’t be “only one game,” particularly for Vancouver.
As such, it will be interesting to see how the Canucks approach it.
Will they try to goad the Bruins into penalties and capitalize on the power play, a strategy that’s been hugely successful against most teams but failed miserably in the final?
Or, will they be tempted to prove their toughness by engaging in a physical affair with what many consider the toughest team in the NHL?
Remember, the Canucks couldn’t really get their revenge on Marchand for repeatedly jabbing Daniel Sedin in the face at the end of Game 6. Not in Game 7. Not with a Stanley Cup on the line.
And for those who say they should’ve done it at the time, watch the clip. Did anyone on the Canucks even see Marchand and Sedin standing off to the side?
Looks like they all had their hands full.
Saturday will be different. With no Cup on the line, expect fireworks.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20