Jan 4, 2012, 4:59 PM EDT
Some more bad news for the St. Louis Blues on the concussion front.
Already without center Andy McDonald for most of the season (he’s been on IR with a concussion since Oct. 15) , the Blues have learned that third-leading scorer Alex Steen failed his concussion baseline test, according to FAN 590 Radio’s Andy Strickland. Steen’s been out with a concussion since Dec. 27 — a 3-2 loss to Detroit, in which he scored his 13th goal of the year — and missed St. Louis’ last three games.
Barring a rapid reversal in fortune and tests results, Steen will miss game No. 4 this Thursday when the Blues host the Oilers.
The injury is a big setback for both team and player. From a team perspective, the 27-year-old Swede has emerged as a versatile and valuable player, leading the Blues in plus-minus (+20) and second only to captain David Backes in terms of ice time for forwards. Steen also leads the team in even-strength goals and is a top penalty-killer.
From a player’s perspective, this looked to be Steen’s breakout campaign. He was on pace for a career-high 30 goals and appeared to be in good health, which hasn’t always been the case. His time in St. Louis has been marked by solid play, but a series of ailments have cost him 45 games over the last three years.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (59)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)