Jan 4, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
Rene Bourque is doing a good job of getting the attention of Brendan Shanahan this season.
Bourque’s already been suspended for two games this year for a hit on Brent Seabrook and now he’ll get to talk with Shanahan again for delivering an elbow to the head of Caps forward Nicklas Backstrom.
Halfway through the third period of the Caps’ 3-1 win over Calgary, Backstrom carried the puck through the neutral zone. Bourque stepped up to deliver a hit on Backstrom and rather than trying to hit him with the body, Bourque aimed high and caught Backstrom around the head. Backstrom was unhurt on the play and Bourque received a minor penalty for elbowing.
Considering that Bourque’s previous suspension occurred just over two weeks ago, don’t expect Shanahan to be very lenient in this case. After all, if you just got punished for delivering a dirty hit and come back just a few games later and do it all over again, you should smacked harder.
In this case, Bourque gunning for Backstrom’s head as the point of contact will ensure that Shanahan acts strongly. Here’s rather crude video of the hit in question for you to judge for yourself.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)