Jan 4, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
Rene Bourque is doing a good job of getting the attention of Brendan Shanahan this season.
Bourque’s already been suspended for two games this year for a hit on Brent Seabrook and now he’ll get to talk with Shanahan again for delivering an elbow to the head of Caps forward Nicklas Backstrom.
Halfway through the third period of the Caps’ 3-1 win over Calgary, Backstrom carried the puck through the neutral zone. Bourque stepped up to deliver a hit on Backstrom and rather than trying to hit him with the body, Bourque aimed high and caught Backstrom around the head. Backstrom was unhurt on the play and Bourque received a minor penalty for elbowing.
Considering that Bourque’s previous suspension occurred just over two weeks ago, don’t expect Shanahan to be very lenient in this case. After all, if you just got punished for delivering a dirty hit and come back just a few games later and do it all over again, you should smacked harder.
In this case, Bourque gunning for Backstrom’s head as the point of contact will ensure that Shanahan acts strongly. Here’s rather crude video of the hit in question for you to judge for yourself.
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight vs. B’s 0
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 20
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 83
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)