Jan 4, 2012, 10:12 AM EST
Rene Bourque is doing a good job of getting the attention of Brendan Shanahan this season.
Bourque’s already been suspended for two games this year for a hit on Brent Seabrook and now he’ll get to talk with Shanahan again for delivering an elbow to the head of Caps forward Nicklas Backstrom.
Halfway through the third period of the Caps’ 3-1 win over Calgary, Backstrom carried the puck through the neutral zone. Bourque stepped up to deliver a hit on Backstrom and rather than trying to hit him with the body, Bourque aimed high and caught Backstrom around the head. Backstrom was unhurt on the play and Bourque received a minor penalty for elbowing.
Considering that Bourque’s previous suspension occurred just over two weeks ago, don’t expect Shanahan to be very lenient in this case. After all, if you just got punished for delivering a dirty hit and come back just a few games later and do it all over again, you should smacked harder.
In this case, Bourque gunning for Backstrom’s head as the point of contact will ensure that Shanahan acts strongly. Here’s rather crude video of the hit in question for you to judge for yourself.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)