Jan 4, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
Rene Bourque is doing a good job of getting the attention of Brendan Shanahan this season.
Bourque’s already been suspended for two games this year for a hit on Brent Seabrook and now he’ll get to talk with Shanahan again for delivering an elbow to the head of Caps forward Nicklas Backstrom.
Halfway through the third period of the Caps’ 3-1 win over Calgary, Backstrom carried the puck through the neutral zone. Bourque stepped up to deliver a hit on Backstrom and rather than trying to hit him with the body, Bourque aimed high and caught Backstrom around the head. Backstrom was unhurt on the play and Bourque received a minor penalty for elbowing.
Considering that Bourque’s previous suspension occurred just over two weeks ago, don’t expect Shanahan to be very lenient in this case. After all, if you just got punished for delivering a dirty hit and come back just a few games later and do it all over again, you should smacked harder.
In this case, Bourque gunning for Backstrom’s head as the point of contact will ensure that Shanahan acts strongly. Here’s rather crude video of the hit in question for you to judge for yourself.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)