Jan 4, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
Rene Bourque is doing a good job of getting the attention of Brendan Shanahan this season.
Bourque’s already been suspended for two games this year for a hit on Brent Seabrook and now he’ll get to talk with Shanahan again for delivering an elbow to the head of Caps forward Nicklas Backstrom.
Halfway through the third period of the Caps’ 3-1 win over Calgary, Backstrom carried the puck through the neutral zone. Bourque stepped up to deliver a hit on Backstrom and rather than trying to hit him with the body, Bourque aimed high and caught Backstrom around the head. Backstrom was unhurt on the play and Bourque received a minor penalty for elbowing.
Considering that Bourque’s previous suspension occurred just over two weeks ago, don’t expect Shanahan to be very lenient in this case. After all, if you just got punished for delivering a dirty hit and come back just a few games later and do it all over again, you should smacked harder.
In this case, Bourque gunning for Backstrom’s head as the point of contact will ensure that Shanahan acts strongly. Here’s rather crude video of the hit in question for you to judge for yourself.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)