Jan 4, 2012, 5:42 PM EST
The prized Oilers rookie was flown back to Edmonton today after injuring his left shoulder against the Blackhawks, according to the Edmonton Journal. Nugent-Hopkins hurt his shoulder on Monday, watched Edmonton’s 4-3 loss in Buffalo on Tuesday (with his arm in a sling) then traveled with the team to St. Louis. But with just two games left on the seven-game roadie — Thursday against the Blues and Saturday in Dallas — the decision was made to send Nuge back to Edmonton so he could be evaluated by team doctors.
The Journal’s Jim Matheson notes the club hasn’t said what’s wrong with RNH, but suggests his shoulder could be separated. If so, it’s eerily similar to the injury Taylor Hall suffered earlier this year — he missed seven games after separating his left shoulder in late November.
Looking ahead, it’ll be interesting to see how the Edmonton powerplay operates over the next two games without its star QB. Nuge leads the Oilers in PP points (18) and his 15 PP assists are double that of the No. 2 guy (Jordan Eberle, who has seven.) All told, Nugent-Hopkins is tied for second in the NHL in powerplay points; ESPN’s Neil Greenberg notes that RNH’s 41-point pace on the PP would be the third-best rookie performance since the lockout, behind only Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 0
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 69
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (69)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)