Jan 4, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
The prized Oilers rookie was flown back to Edmonton today after injuring his left shoulder against the Blackhawks, according to the Edmonton Journal. Nugent-Hopkins hurt his shoulder on Monday, watched Edmonton’s 4-3 loss in Buffalo on Tuesday (with his arm in a sling) then traveled with the team to St. Louis. But with just two games left on the seven-game roadie — Thursday against the Blues and Saturday in Dallas — the decision was made to send Nuge back to Edmonton so he could be evaluated by team doctors.
The Journal’s Jim Matheson notes the club hasn’t said what’s wrong with RNH, but suggests his shoulder could be separated. If so, it’s eerily similar to the injury Taylor Hall suffered earlier this year — he missed seven games after separating his left shoulder in late November.
Looking ahead, it’ll be interesting to see how the Edmonton powerplay operates over the next two games without its star QB. Nuge leads the Oilers in PP points (18) and his 15 PP assists are double that of the No. 2 guy (Jordan Eberle, who has seven.) All told, Nugent-Hopkins is tied for second in the NHL in powerplay points; ESPN’s Neil Greenberg notes that RNH’s 41-point pace on the PP would be the third-best rookie performance since the lockout, behind only Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)