Jan 4, 2012, 8:04 PM EDT
John Tortorella apologized for his critiques of the Winter Classic officiating, but the NHL decided to hit him back in the wallet. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the league’s fine will make him $30,000 lighter.
Unlike the NHL’s many dirty hitters, it’s likely that Torts will learn from his lesson – or at least keep his zebra abuse to when he’s on the bench and not in front of the press.
Something tells us that this won’t keep him from being one of the most reliable sources for colorful quotes and flamboyant displays of boiling rage, though.
(And yes, we cannot wait to see how this whole scenario translates to the final episode of HBO 24/7’s coverage, either.)
“There is no acceptable explanation or excuse for commentary challenging the integrity of the League, its officials or its broadcast partners,” Campbell said. “People can disagree with calls by officials on the ice, but even in instances of the utmost frustration there is no justification for speaking as inappropriately and irresponsibly as Mr. Tortorella did.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)