Jan 4, 2012, 8:04 PM EST
John Tortorella apologized for his critiques of the Winter Classic officiating, but the NHL decided to hit him back in the wallet. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the league’s fine will make him $30,000 lighter.
Unlike the NHL’s many dirty hitters, it’s likely that Torts will learn from his lesson – or at least keep his zebra abuse to when he’s on the bench and not in front of the press.
Something tells us that this won’t keep him from being one of the most reliable sources for colorful quotes and flamboyant displays of boiling rage, though.
(And yes, we cannot wait to see how this whole scenario translates to the final episode of HBO 24/7’s coverage, either.)
“There is no acceptable explanation or excuse for commentary challenging the integrity of the League, its officials or its broadcast partners,” Campbell said. “People can disagree with calls by officials on the ice, but even in instances of the utmost frustration there is no justification for speaking as inappropriately and irresponsibly as Mr. Tortorella did.”
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)