Jan 4, 2012, 8:04 PM EDT
John Tortorella apologized for his critiques of the Winter Classic officiating, but the NHL decided to hit him back in the wallet. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the league’s fine will make him $30,000 lighter.
Unlike the NHL’s many dirty hitters, it’s likely that Torts will learn from his lesson – or at least keep his zebra abuse to when he’s on the bench and not in front of the press.
Something tells us that this won’t keep him from being one of the most reliable sources for colorful quotes and flamboyant displays of boiling rage, though.
(And yes, we cannot wait to see how this whole scenario translates to the final episode of HBO 24/7′s coverage, either.)
“There is no acceptable explanation or excuse for commentary challenging the integrity of the League, its officials or its broadcast partners,” Campbell said. “People can disagree with calls by officials on the ice, but even in instances of the utmost frustration there is no justification for speaking as inappropriately and irresponsibly as Mr. Tortorella did.”
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 28
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 58
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte