Jan 4, 2012, 8:04 PM EST
John Tortorella apologized for his critiques of the Winter Classic officiating, but the NHL decided to hit him back in the wallet. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the league’s fine will make him $30,000 lighter.
Unlike the NHL’s many dirty hitters, it’s likely that Torts will learn from his lesson – or at least keep his zebra abuse to when he’s on the bench and not in front of the press.
Something tells us that this won’t keep him from being one of the most reliable sources for colorful quotes and flamboyant displays of boiling rage, though.
(And yes, we cannot wait to see how this whole scenario translates to the final episode of HBO 24/7′s coverage, either.)
“There is no acceptable explanation or excuse for commentary challenging the integrity of the League, its officials or its broadcast partners,” Campbell said. “People can disagree with calls by officials on the ice, but even in instances of the utmost frustration there is no justification for speaking as inappropriately and irresponsibly as Mr. Tortorella did.”
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 3
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 68
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 63
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 70
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (72)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) (72)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (68)