Jan 4, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The embattled Montreal Canadiens got some good news on Tuesday as captain Brian Gionta returned to practice. The 32-year-old had been sidelined since suffering a groin injury against Vancouver on Dec. 8 and has missed Montreal’s last 10 games.
“It felt good, nice to be back out there, getting into the swing of things,” Gionta told the Montreal Gazette. “It’s been a long road and [rehab] is part of it. You want to be out there with the guys practicing, taking steps in the right direction.”
It’s been tough sledding for the Habs with Gionta on the shelf. In his absence they’ve gone 3-7, fired Jacques Martin, hired budding French student Randy Cunneyworth on an interim basis and acquired Tomas Kaberle. Oh yeah, Tomas Plekanec also fought PK Subban in practice, which was an embarrassment both the organization and fighting.
As for when Gionta will return? It won’t be tonight against Winnipeg (which is a key battle with the Jets are eight points clear of Montreal for ninth in the East) — but both he and the organization are hopeful for a return to the lineup Saturday against Tampa Bay.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)