Jan 4, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The embattled Montreal Canadiens got some good news on Tuesday as captain Brian Gionta returned to practice. The 32-year-old had been sidelined since suffering a groin injury against Vancouver on Dec. 8 and has missed Montreal’s last 10 games.
“It felt good, nice to be back out there, getting into the swing of things,” Gionta told the Montreal Gazette. “It’s been a long road and [rehab] is part of it. You want to be out there with the guys practicing, taking steps in the right direction.”
It’s been tough sledding for the Habs with Gionta on the shelf. In his absence they’ve gone 3-7, fired Jacques Martin, hired budding French student Randy Cunneyworth on an interim basis and acquired Tomas Kaberle. Oh yeah, Tomas Plekanec also fought PK Subban in practice, which was an embarrassment both the organization and fighting.
As for when Gionta will return? It won’t be tonight against Winnipeg (which is a key battle with the Jets are eight points clear of Montreal for ninth in the East) — but both he and the organization are hopeful for a return to the lineup Saturday against Tampa Bay.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)