Jan 4, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Madden signed a one-year deal with the Panthers to finish up the rest of the season with the team and give them another veteran presence up the middle. Madden will slot into the lineup thanks to a host of injuries in Florida. With guys like Scottie Upshall, Marcel Goc, Sean Bergenheim, Jack Skille, and Marco Sturm all banged up and slow to get back to action, Madden gives them another guy they can put at center to give them some help defensively.
The 38 year-old Madden also joins a host of former Stanley Cup-winning Chicago Blackhawks in south Florida. Skille, Tomas Kopecky, Kris Versteeg, and Brian Campbell were all part of that 2010 team with Madden. They’ll be looking to bring some of that magic to the Panthers who sit atop the Southeast Division and are looking to make the playoffs for the first time since 2000.
Of course, if the Panthers start playing “Chelsea Dagger” after goals, we’re going to need to have an intervention for GM Dale Tallon.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)