Jan 4, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Madden signed a one-year deal with the Panthers to finish up the rest of the season with the team and give them another veteran presence up the middle. Madden will slot into the lineup thanks to a host of injuries in Florida. With guys like Scottie Upshall, Marcel Goc, Sean Bergenheim, Jack Skille, and Marco Sturm all banged up and slow to get back to action, Madden gives them another guy they can put at center to give them some help defensively.
The 38 year-old Madden also joins a host of former Stanley Cup-winning Chicago Blackhawks in south Florida. Skille, Tomas Kopecky, Kris Versteeg, and Brian Campbell were all part of that 2010 team with Madden. They’ll be looking to bring some of that magic to the Panthers who sit atop the Southeast Division and are looking to make the playoffs for the first time since 2000.
Of course, if the Panthers start playing “Chelsea Dagger” after goals, we’re going to need to have an intervention for GM Dale Tallon.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)