Jan 4, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
Madden signed a one-year deal with the Panthers to finish up the rest of the season with the team and give them another veteran presence up the middle. Madden will slot into the lineup thanks to a host of injuries in Florida. With guys like Scottie Upshall, Marcel Goc, Sean Bergenheim, Jack Skille, and Marco Sturm all banged up and slow to get back to action, Madden gives them another guy they can put at center to give them some help defensively.
The 38 year-old Madden also joins a host of former Stanley Cup-winning Chicago Blackhawks in south Florida. Skille, Tomas Kopecky, Kris Versteeg, and Brian Campbell were all part of that 2010 team with Madden. They’ll be looking to bring some of that magic to the Panthers who sit atop the Southeast Division and are looking to make the playoffs for the first time since 2000.
Of course, if the Panthers start playing “Chelsea Dagger” after goals, we’re going to need to have an intervention for GM Dale Tallon.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 39
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)