Dan Carcillo’s dirty hit earns him a seven-game suspension

Jan 4, 2012, 8:43 PM EST

Will players like Dan Carcillo and Raffi Torres ever learn? That’s a tough call, but if they keep making bad decisions, their paychecks will keep getting smaller. The NHL handed Carcillo a seven-game suspension for an ugly boarding hit on Edmonton Oilers blueliner Tom Gilbert.

If there’s one semi-consistent trend when it comes to Brendan Shanahan’s recent verdicts, it’s that he’ll hand out some of the heftiest punishments for checks from behind. Carcillo’s status as a repeat offender means that he’ll lose money from the span of time he’ll miss, not just the games so this one will cost him $66,158.54.

This is Carcillo’s second suspension of this season, as his last involuntary rest came on Nov. 28.

Obviously seven games ranks as a long time to sit, but where do you stand? Was that too much, not enough or the perfect amount? Will this be the punishment that opens the Chicago Blackhawks pest’s eyes like Matt Cooke‘s last suspension did for him? Share your perspective in the comments.

1. tommytd - Jan 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I think it should have been more…and I’m a Blackhawk fan! No place in the game for crap like that.

• xkaren08 - Jan 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Same here! I was hoping for 10 but at least it was over 5. I hope the Hawks management tells him that he has to get his act together or he’s finished.

• balewsquare - Jan 5, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Hawks fan here, and I agree. I like that it is over 5 and seems to fall in line with other similar offenses. I wonder, though, what this goon (and any other repeat offender that doesn’t play true hockey) has to do to get 10+. They can no longer give him more chances, make him realize how bad his behavior is.

• tommytd - Jan 5, 2012 at 6:26 AM

True, but the Blackhawks knew what they were getting when they traded for him, now they have to live w/his antics or dump him and make him somebody elses’ problem.

• joeyfuss66 - Jan 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I’m a Blackhawks fan and mostly ignorant of hockey – love watching it, never played it and am only starting to understand WTF is happening out there as I watch BUT it seemed to me if shoe was on other foot; most chicago fans would be calling it DIRTIEST HIT EVER, and while it WASN’T, still think this suspension was warranted. and I agree with some dude who commented later – they signed this guy to be a bit of a goon and now that he does act like a goon, don’t know anyone’s surprised nor can make a fuss of his suspension. I know, I know – this post is WAY TOO CIVILIZED for this type of forum, but I’m trying to quit drinking and as a result, have become totally LAME!!!

2. taytay099 - Jan 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Good, he’s a rat and deserves it. This hit seems more dangerous than any shoulder making contact with the head. It doesn’t take much to break your back or neck going into the boards violently.

3. rarelyshaves - Jan 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

yep, thanks for providing a safe haven for ignorance james

remember when you were young and stupid and your parents punished you for exercising poor judgement?

say hello to papa carcillo

NO reason to get between him and the boards, NO reason to slam on the brakes 6 feet out, NO reason to expect anything but that result

if you want the puck in your own zone, you fight for your ice. thats what dan did.

if you want to stop a forward from getting the puck, you fight for your ice. tom gilbert evidently learned to play hockey from the esteemed comment clowns of PHT

4. keith8 - Jan 4, 2012 at 9:56 PM

A 7-game suspension seems justifiable for this incident, but as a Hawks fan this doesn’t please me, it seems somewhat inconsistent. After seeing Raffi Torres go on a 3 hit fiesta rampage and only get a 2-game suspension, I thought Carcillo would get 3-4 maybe 5 tops.

5. habsman - Jan 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Carcillo’s biggest problem is he doesn’t play for Boston. They’re the only team that get away with that crap. Its a result of having Greg Campbell’s daddy in the NHL head office.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jan 5, 2012 at 3:26 AM

A Habs fan still whining about Chara not getting arrested? What a surprise.

• habsman - Jan 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM

B’s got all the calls last year and this year looks no different. BTW, props to your handle, Doors goat.

6. rickfernandez1959 - Jan 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Raffi’s hit was a good hit; Carcillo’s suspension was well earned. The NHL (No Hit League) was keeping an eye on Torres for ANY overly agressive hit, and decided on this one. It was just a good old-time hockey hit.

• comeonnowguys - Jan 5, 2012 at 9:12 AM

“Raffi’s hit was a good hit;”

Thanks for letting me know right away your comment wasn’t going to be worth reading.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches