Jan 4, 2012, 8:43 PM EDT
Will players like Dan Carcillo and Raffi Torres ever learn? That’s a tough call, but if they keep making bad decisions, their paychecks will keep getting smaller. The NHL handed Carcillo a seven-game suspension for an ugly boarding hit on Edmonton Oilers blueliner Tom Gilbert.
If there’s one semi-consistent trend when it comes to Brendan Shanahan’s recent verdicts, it’s that he’ll hand out some of the heftiest punishments for checks from behind. Carcillo’s status as a repeat offender means that he’ll lose money from the span of time he’ll miss, not just the games so this one will cost him $66,158.54.
This is Carcillo’s second suspension of this season, as his last involuntary rest came on Nov. 28.
Obviously seven games ranks as a long time to sit, but where do you stand? Was that too much, not enough or the perfect amount? Will this be the punishment that opens the Chicago Blackhawks pest’s eyes like Matt Cooke‘s last suspension did for him? Share your perspective in the comments.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 4
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 47
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 14
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)