Jan 4, 2012, 8:43 PM EDT
Will players like Dan Carcillo and Raffi Torres ever learn? That’s a tough call, but if they keep making bad decisions, their paychecks will keep getting smaller. The NHL handed Carcillo a seven-game suspension for an ugly boarding hit on Edmonton Oilers blueliner Tom Gilbert.
If there’s one semi-consistent trend when it comes to Brendan Shanahan’s recent verdicts, it’s that he’ll hand out some of the heftiest punishments for checks from behind. Carcillo’s status as a repeat offender means that he’ll lose money from the span of time he’ll miss, not just the games so this one will cost him $66,158.54.
This is Carcillo’s second suspension of this season, as his last involuntary rest came on Nov. 28.
Obviously seven games ranks as a long time to sit, but where do you stand? Was that too much, not enough or the perfect amount? Will this be the punishment that opens the Chicago Blackhawks pest’s eyes like Matt Cooke‘s last suspension did for him? Share your perspective in the comments.
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 0
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 16
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 55
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)