Jan 4, 2012, 8:43 PM EDT
Will players like Dan Carcillo and Raffi Torres ever learn? That’s a tough call, but if they keep making bad decisions, their paychecks will keep getting smaller. The NHL handed Carcillo a seven-game suspension for an ugly boarding hit on Edmonton Oilers blueliner Tom Gilbert.
If there’s one semi-consistent trend when it comes to Brendan Shanahan’s recent verdicts, it’s that he’ll hand out some of the heftiest punishments for checks from behind. Carcillo’s status as a repeat offender means that he’ll lose money from the span of time he’ll miss, not just the games so this one will cost him $66,158.54.
This is Carcillo’s second suspension of this season, as his last involuntary rest came on Nov. 28.
Obviously seven games ranks as a long time to sit, but where do you stand? Was that too much, not enough or the perfect amount? Will this be the punishment that opens the Chicago Blackhawks pest’s eyes like Matt Cooke‘s last suspension did for him? Share your perspective in the comments.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)