Jan 4, 2012, 8:43 PM EST
Will players like Dan Carcillo and Raffi Torres ever learn? That’s a tough call, but if they keep making bad decisions, their paychecks will keep getting smaller. The NHL handed Carcillo a seven-game suspension for an ugly boarding hit on Edmonton Oilers blueliner Tom Gilbert.
If there’s one semi-consistent trend when it comes to Brendan Shanahan’s recent verdicts, it’s that he’ll hand out some of the heftiest punishments for checks from behind. Carcillo’s status as a repeat offender means that he’ll lose money from the span of time he’ll miss, not just the games so this one will cost him $66,158.54.
This is Carcillo’s second suspension of this season, as his last involuntary rest came on Nov. 28.
Obviously seven games ranks as a long time to sit, but where do you stand? Was that too much, not enough or the perfect amount? Will this be the punishment that opens the Chicago Blackhawks pest’s eyes like Matt Cooke‘s last suspension did for him? Share your perspective in the comments.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 48
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 2
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 18
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 28
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)