Jan 4, 2012, 8:43 PM EDT
Will players like Dan Carcillo and Raffi Torres ever learn? That’s a tough call, but if they keep making bad decisions, their paychecks will keep getting smaller. The NHL handed Carcillo a seven-game suspension for an ugly boarding hit on Edmonton Oilers blueliner Tom Gilbert.
If there’s one semi-consistent trend when it comes to Brendan Shanahan’s recent verdicts, it’s that he’ll hand out some of the heftiest punishments for checks from behind. Carcillo’s status as a repeat offender means that he’ll lose money from the span of time he’ll miss, not just the games so this one will cost him $66,158.54.
This is Carcillo’s second suspension of this season, as his last involuntary rest came on Nov. 28.
Obviously seven games ranks as a long time to sit, but where do you stand? Was that too much, not enough or the perfect amount? Will this be the punishment that opens the Chicago Blackhawks pest’s eyes like Matt Cooke‘s last suspension did for him? Share your perspective in the comments.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)