Jan 4, 2012, 10:38 AM EDT
While the Ducks’ struggles continue even with Bruce Boudreau behind the bench, one Anaheim columnist thinks he has the solution to help fix their problems:
Trade Ryan Getzlaf.
Orange County Register columnist Jeff Francis believes that by trading Getzlaf, the Ducks can get the equally big return and change of chemistry that they need to get things turned around.
“For Getzlaf, a trade might be the best thing right now. Boudreau recently tried separating him from longtime linemate Corey Perry. The coach also changed his top power play unit by removing Getzlaf. The changes yielded nothing.”
Getzlaf has been brutal this year. His points are way down, the chemistry he’s had with Corey Perry has been completely missing and the Ducks have remained miserable in the face of a coaching change this year. There are a lot of problems in Anaheim, but Getzlaf’s unimpressive play as the captain of the team is disturbingly noticeable.
The other side of this, of course, is that the Ducks may not consider making such a drastic move. The organization’s issues lie in the lack of depth they have all over the ice. Outside of their top six, the forwards are unimpressive. Their defense is a mish-mash of hopeful youth and veterans who are questionably good.
The one thing trading Getzlaf could do is help improve their depth by adding more players who are better fits in the NHL. The downside here is, getting rid of a superstar-quality player for depth means getting rid of a huge talent and that kind of risk is one Ducks GM Bob Murray may not want to make.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)