Jan 4, 2012, 10:38 AM EDT
While the Ducks’ struggles continue even with Bruce Boudreau behind the bench, one Anaheim columnist thinks he has the solution to help fix their problems:
Trade Ryan Getzlaf.
Orange County Register columnist Jeff Francis believes that by trading Getzlaf, the Ducks can get the equally big return and change of chemistry that they need to get things turned around.
“For Getzlaf, a trade might be the best thing right now. Boudreau recently tried separating him from longtime linemate Corey Perry. The coach also changed his top power play unit by removing Getzlaf. The changes yielded nothing.”
Getzlaf has been brutal this year. His points are way down, the chemistry he’s had with Corey Perry has been completely missing and the Ducks have remained miserable in the face of a coaching change this year. There are a lot of problems in Anaheim, but Getzlaf’s unimpressive play as the captain of the team is disturbingly noticeable.
The other side of this, of course, is that the Ducks may not consider making such a drastic move. The organization’s issues lie in the lack of depth they have all over the ice. Outside of their top six, the forwards are unimpressive. Their defense is a mish-mash of hopeful youth and veterans who are questionably good.
The one thing trading Getzlaf could do is help improve their depth by adding more players who are better fits in the NHL. The downside here is, getting rid of a superstar-quality player for depth means getting rid of a huge talent and that kind of risk is one Ducks GM Bob Murray may not want to make.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)