Jan 4, 2012, 10:38 AM EDT
While the Ducks’ struggles continue even with Bruce Boudreau behind the bench, one Anaheim columnist thinks he has the solution to help fix their problems:
Trade Ryan Getzlaf.
Orange County Register columnist Jeff Francis believes that by trading Getzlaf, the Ducks can get the equally big return and change of chemistry that they need to get things turned around.
“For Getzlaf, a trade might be the best thing right now. Boudreau recently tried separating him from longtime linemate Corey Perry. The coach also changed his top power play unit by removing Getzlaf. The changes yielded nothing.”
Getzlaf has been brutal this year. His points are way down, the chemistry he’s had with Corey Perry has been completely missing and the Ducks have remained miserable in the face of a coaching change this year. There are a lot of problems in Anaheim, but Getzlaf’s unimpressive play as the captain of the team is disturbingly noticeable.
The other side of this, of course, is that the Ducks may not consider making such a drastic move. The organization’s issues lie in the lack of depth they have all over the ice. Outside of their top six, the forwards are unimpressive. Their defense is a mish-mash of hopeful youth and veterans who are questionably good.
The one thing trading Getzlaf could do is help improve their depth by adding more players who are better fits in the NHL. The downside here is, getting rid of a superstar-quality player for depth means getting rid of a huge talent and that kind of risk is one Ducks GM Bob Murray may not want to make.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)