Jan 3, 2012, 8:29 AM EDT
Steve Yzerman is the kind of guy you’d describe as “unflappable.” Nothing seemed to rattle him as a player and the same can be said of him as a general manager.
With the Lightning having a poor season after one that saw them nearly make the Stanley Cup finals would be disturbing for a lot of people. Not Yzerman however, as he tells Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun that the Lightning’s struggles this season haven’t caught him off guard.
“We’re not shocked by where we are,” Yzerman said in a telephone call from Calgary. “I’m not caught off guard by this. We’re not surprised at all. We knew this wasn’t going to be easy. I think going in to the year, we knew this would be a challenge for everybody, our coaching staff, our players, the whole organization.”
Having the challenges come from poor goaltending, defensive injuries, and offensive struggles all at once, however, makes Yzerman’s job that much more tricky. The struggles Dwayne Roloson has had in goal makes finding a long term solution there a priority, but the health of Mattias Ohlund and Victor Hedman also gives coach Guy Boucher a lot of problems.
At least there’s always Steve Stamkos.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)