Jan 3, 2012, 8:29 AM EST
Steve Yzerman is the kind of guy you’d describe as “unflappable.” Nothing seemed to rattle him as a player and the same can be said of him as a general manager.
With the Lightning having a poor season after one that saw them nearly make the Stanley Cup finals would be disturbing for a lot of people. Not Yzerman however, as he tells Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun that the Lightning’s struggles this season haven’t caught him off guard.
“We’re not shocked by where we are,” Yzerman said in a telephone call from Calgary. “I’m not caught off guard by this. We’re not surprised at all. We knew this wasn’t going to be easy. I think going in to the year, we knew this would be a challenge for everybody, our coaching staff, our players, the whole organization.”
Having the challenges come from poor goaltending, defensive injuries, and offensive struggles all at once, however, makes Yzerman’s job that much more tricky. The struggles Dwayne Roloson has had in goal makes finding a long term solution there a priority, but the health of Mattias Ohlund and Victor Hedman also gives coach Guy Boucher a lot of problems.
At least there’s always Steve Stamkos.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)