Jan 3, 2012, 8:29 AM EST
Steve Yzerman is the kind of guy you’d describe as “unflappable.” Nothing seemed to rattle him as a player and the same can be said of him as a general manager.
With the Lightning having a poor season after one that saw them nearly make the Stanley Cup finals would be disturbing for a lot of people. Not Yzerman however, as he tells Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun that the Lightning’s struggles this season haven’t caught him off guard.
“We’re not shocked by where we are,” Yzerman said in a telephone call from Calgary. “I’m not caught off guard by this. We’re not surprised at all. We knew this wasn’t going to be easy. I think going in to the year, we knew this would be a challenge for everybody, our coaching staff, our players, the whole organization.”
Having the challenges come from poor goaltending, defensive injuries, and offensive struggles all at once, however, makes Yzerman’s job that much more tricky. The struggles Dwayne Roloson has had in goal makes finding a long term solution there a priority, but the health of Mattias Ohlund and Victor Hedman also gives coach Guy Boucher a lot of problems.
At least there’s always Steve Stamkos.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 27
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)