Jan 3, 2012, 8:29 AM EDT
Steve Yzerman is the kind of guy you’d describe as “unflappable.” Nothing seemed to rattle him as a player and the same can be said of him as a general manager.
With the Lightning having a poor season after one that saw them nearly make the Stanley Cup finals would be disturbing for a lot of people. Not Yzerman however, as he tells Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun that the Lightning’s struggles this season haven’t caught him off guard.
“We’re not shocked by where we are,” Yzerman said in a telephone call from Calgary. “I’m not caught off guard by this. We’re not surprised at all. We knew this wasn’t going to be easy. I think going in to the year, we knew this would be a challenge for everybody, our coaching staff, our players, the whole organization.”
Having the challenges come from poor goaltending, defensive injuries, and offensive struggles all at once, however, makes Yzerman’s job that much more tricky. The struggles Dwayne Roloson has had in goal makes finding a long term solution there a priority, but the health of Mattias Ohlund and Victor Hedman also gives coach Guy Boucher a lot of problems.
At least there’s always Steve Stamkos.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)