Jan 3, 2012, 12:17 AM EST
Some stories just write themselves. Whenever a veteran player finds himself on a free-falling team, it’s only a matter of time before someone asks if that guy will be the target of trade talk.
That idea probably seems flat-out wrong to most fans and veterans, but it’s even more outrageous to imagine that happening with Teemu Selanne. The OC Register’s Eric Stephens couldn’t help but ask Selanne if he’d consider a trade to a Stanley Cup contender considering the Anaheim Ducks’ sorry state, though.
“I haven’t really thought about that too much,” Selanne said. ”Obviously it has been a frustrating year so far. I’m waiting for that roll that we can be hot for a while. I really believe anything can happen. After that, you know, we can talk about this later and see how it goes.”
“I don’t know what else to say, really.”
It seems like the retirement question has come up every year for Selanne, but it’s always been Anaheim or bust for the Finnish Flash. Still, those Ducks teams have been competitive during his second stint with the team. With this likely being his final NHL season, he probably at least needs to eventually consider a trade if he wants to finish his career with one last chance for one more Stanley Cup.
I’d still bet against that ever happening, though.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)