Jan 3, 2012, 12:17 AM EDT
Some stories just write themselves. Whenever a veteran player finds himself on a free-falling team, it’s only a matter of time before someone asks if that guy will be the target of trade talk.
That idea probably seems flat-out wrong to most fans and veterans, but it’s even more outrageous to imagine that happening with Teemu Selanne. The OC Register’s Eric Stephens couldn’t help but ask Selanne if he’d consider a trade to a Stanley Cup contender considering the Anaheim Ducks’ sorry state, though.
“I haven’t really thought about that too much,” Selanne said. ”Obviously it has been a frustrating year so far. I’m waiting for that roll that we can be hot for a while. I really believe anything can happen. After that, you know, we can talk about this later and see how it goes.”
“I don’t know what else to say, really.”
It seems like the retirement question has come up every year for Selanne, but it’s always been Anaheim or bust for the Finnish Flash. Still, those Ducks teams have been competitive during his second stint with the team. With this likely being his final NHL season, he probably at least needs to eventually consider a trade if he wants to finish his career with one last chance for one more Stanley Cup.
I’d still bet against that ever happening, though.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)