Jan 3, 2012, 12:17 AM EDT
Some stories just write themselves. Whenever a veteran player finds himself on a free-falling team, it’s only a matter of time before someone asks if that guy will be the target of trade talk.
That idea probably seems flat-out wrong to most fans and veterans, but it’s even more outrageous to imagine that happening with Teemu Selanne. The OC Register’s Eric Stephens couldn’t help but ask Selanne if he’d consider a trade to a Stanley Cup contender considering the Anaheim Ducks’ sorry state, though.
“I haven’t really thought about that too much,” Selanne said. ”Obviously it has been a frustrating year so far. I’m waiting for that roll that we can be hot for a while. I really believe anything can happen. After that, you know, we can talk about this later and see how it goes.”
“I don’t know what else to say, really.”
It seems like the retirement question has come up every year for Selanne, but it’s always been Anaheim or bust for the Finnish Flash. Still, those Ducks teams have been competitive during his second stint with the team. With this likely being his final NHL season, he probably at least needs to eventually consider a trade if he wants to finish his career with one last chance for one more Stanley Cup.
I’d still bet against that ever happening, though.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)