Jan 3, 2012, 12:17 AM EDT
Some stories just write themselves. Whenever a veteran player finds himself on a free-falling team, it’s only a matter of time before someone asks if that guy will be the target of trade talk.
That idea probably seems flat-out wrong to most fans and veterans, but it’s even more outrageous to imagine that happening with Teemu Selanne. The OC Register’s Eric Stephens couldn’t help but ask Selanne if he’d consider a trade to a Stanley Cup contender considering the Anaheim Ducks’ sorry state, though.
“I haven’t really thought about that too much,” Selanne said. ”Obviously it has been a frustrating year so far. I’m waiting for that roll that we can be hot for a while. I really believe anything can happen. After that, you know, we can talk about this later and see how it goes.”
“I don’t know what else to say, really.”
It seems like the retirement question has come up every year for Selanne, but it’s always been Anaheim or bust for the Finnish Flash. Still, those Ducks teams have been competitive during his second stint with the team. With this likely being his final NHL season, he probably at least needs to eventually consider a trade if he wants to finish his career with one last chance for one more Stanley Cup.
I’d still bet against that ever happening, though.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)