Jan 3, 2012, 12:17 AM EDT
Some stories just write themselves. Whenever a veteran player finds himself on a free-falling team, it’s only a matter of time before someone asks if that guy will be the target of trade talk.
That idea probably seems flat-out wrong to most fans and veterans, but it’s even more outrageous to imagine that happening with Teemu Selanne. The OC Register’s Eric Stephens couldn’t help but ask Selanne if he’d consider a trade to a Stanley Cup contender considering the Anaheim Ducks’ sorry state, though.
“I haven’t really thought about that too much,” Selanne said. ”Obviously it has been a frustrating year so far. I’m waiting for that roll that we can be hot for a while. I really believe anything can happen. After that, you know, we can talk about this later and see how it goes.”
“I don’t know what else to say, really.”
It seems like the retirement question has come up every year for Selanne, but it’s always been Anaheim or bust for the Finnish Flash. Still, those Ducks teams have been competitive during his second stint with the team. With this likely being his final NHL season, he probably at least needs to eventually consider a trade if he wants to finish his career with one last chance for one more Stanley Cup.
I’d still bet against that ever happening, though.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)