Jan 3, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Green has been out since November 11 with a tough groin injury. Green originally hurt his ankle in late October and missed nearly a month with that injury. Upon his return in November, he played in just the one game on the 11th before hurting his groin.
Now he returns to a Caps team that looks like it’s starting to get things turned around in the right direction. With Alex Ovechkin scoring goals and leading the offense while the defense and goaltending are stiffening up, Green’s return could be the spark their offense and defense needs to begin yet another second half run to the playoffs.
With Green back in the lineup, that could mean bad things for Jeff Schultz on the back line. Schultz has had a rough season seeing himself wind up a healthy scratch on occasion and with Dmitry Orlov playing well, Schultz shapes up to be the odd man out. Then again, Dale Hunter could choose to go with seven defensemen as well just to be different.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 0
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 7
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 31
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)