Jan 3, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Green has been out since November 11 with a tough groin injury. Green originally hurt his ankle in late October and missed nearly a month with that injury. Upon his return in November, he played in just the one game on the 11th before hurting his groin.
Now he returns to a Caps team that looks like it’s starting to get things turned around in the right direction. With Alex Ovechkin scoring goals and leading the offense while the defense and goaltending are stiffening up, Green’s return could be the spark their offense and defense needs to begin yet another second half run to the playoffs.
With Green back in the lineup, that could mean bad things for Jeff Schultz on the back line. Schultz has had a rough season seeing himself wind up a healthy scratch on occasion and with Dmitry Orlov playing well, Schultz shapes up to be the odd man out. Then again, Dale Hunter could choose to go with seven defensemen as well just to be different.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)