Jan 3, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Green has been out since November 11 with a tough groin injury. Green originally hurt his ankle in late October and missed nearly a month with that injury. Upon his return in November, he played in just the one game on the 11th before hurting his groin.
Now he returns to a Caps team that looks like it’s starting to get things turned around in the right direction. With Alex Ovechkin scoring goals and leading the offense while the defense and goaltending are stiffening up, Green’s return could be the spark their offense and defense needs to begin yet another second half run to the playoffs.
With Green back in the lineup, that could mean bad things for Jeff Schultz on the back line. Schultz has had a rough season seeing himself wind up a healthy scratch on occasion and with Dmitry Orlov playing well, Schultz shapes up to be the odd man out. Then again, Dale Hunter could choose to go with seven defensemen as well just to be different.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30