Jan 3, 2012, 9:06 PM EDT
In a lead that we could have repeatedly recycled over the last few years, the Anaheim Ducks and Toronto Maple Leafs made yet another trade. This time, the Leafs sent oft-injured prospect Luca Caputi to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for disappointing youngster Nicolas Deschamps. What are the odds that Brian Burke and Bob Murray have each other on speed dial?
Both prospects have had a tough 2011-12 season in the AHL this year. Deschamps, who was a highly-touted 2nd round pick from the 2008 draft, has struggled with only seven points in 31 games this season. Likewise, Caputi has struggled with injuries and only has three points in 21 points. Both teams will hope the left wing swap will light a fire under the pair of prospects that have been underwhelming through their professional careers thus far.
Hopefully for Ducks fans sanity, this trade goes a little better than that Francois Beauchemin for Jake Gardiner and Joffrey Lupul trade in February. That isn’t really working out so well for the struggling Ducks.
The best part about the trade? They both get to play against their former teams as the Syracuse Crunch and Toronto Marlies faceoff tonight. Awkward.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 29
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 37
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 17
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)