Jan 3, 2012, 9:06 PM EDT
In a lead that we could have repeatedly recycled over the last few years, the Anaheim Ducks and Toronto Maple Leafs made yet another trade. This time, the Leafs sent oft-injured prospect Luca Caputi to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for disappointing youngster Nicolas Deschamps. What are the odds that Brian Burke and Bob Murray have each other on speed dial?
Both prospects have had a tough 2011-12 season in the AHL this year. Deschamps, who was a highly-touted 2nd round pick from the 2008 draft, has struggled with only seven points in 31 games this season. Likewise, Caputi has struggled with injuries and only has three points in 21 points. Both teams will hope the left wing swap will light a fire under the pair of prospects that have been underwhelming through their professional careers thus far.
Hopefully for Ducks fans sanity, this trade goes a little better than that Francois Beauchemin for Jake Gardiner and Joffrey Lupul trade in February. That isn’t really working out so well for the struggling Ducks.
The best part about the trade? They both get to play against their former teams as the Syracuse Crunch and Toronto Marlies faceoff tonight. Awkward.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63