Jan 3, 2012, 3:14 PM EDT
After being sidelined for about a month, Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Joni Pitkanen will likely miss another four weeks after undergoing knee surgery.
That cannot be the most comforting situation for Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford, who gave Pitkanen a three-year, $13.5 million contract extension last summer.
The 28-year-old defenseman has been a workhorse for Carolina ever since he was traded there from the Edmonton Oilers before the 2008-09 season. His point production has been on par for his usual work this season (12 points in 21 games), but his -10 rating shows that he wasn’t immune to the struggles in Raleigh.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)