Jan 3, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
After a lengthy spell of away game incompetence, the Edmonton Oilers went to Chicago and beat the Blackhawks 4-3 last night. Normally that would be cause for celebration, but that win seemed costly with injuries to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Tom Gilbert.
Exact timetables are usually tough to come by, but the team provided some hazy updates that might be a round of good news/bad news.
First, the bad news: Tom Renney said that Nugent-Hopkins will miss at least the Oilers’ next two games, if not more. It appears that RNH is dealing with a shoulder injury that came when he lost his edge and fell during last night’s game.
By mere optics alone, it would seem that Gilbert’s injury would be more severe considering how bad that Dan Carcillo hit looked. Jim Matheson reports that Gilbert’s knee is already showing improvement from Monday, although he won’t play in tonight’s game against the Buffalo Sabres. He may, however, be able to participate in a “light skate” on Wednesday, though.
Most outsiders would expect the loss of RNH to tower over Gilbert’s absence, but many Oilers fans expressed a different belief last night. Either way, both players are catalysts for the Oil O, so the hope is that neither misses much time.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 17
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 31
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 56
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)