Jan 3, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
After a lengthy spell of away game incompetence, the Edmonton Oilers went to Chicago and beat the Blackhawks 4-3 last night. Normally that would be cause for celebration, but that win seemed costly with injuries to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Tom Gilbert.
Exact timetables are usually tough to come by, but the team provided some hazy updates that might be a round of good news/bad news.
First, the bad news: Tom Renney said that Nugent-Hopkins will miss at least the Oilers’ next two games, if not more. It appears that RNH is dealing with a shoulder injury that came when he lost his edge and fell during last night’s game.
By mere optics alone, it would seem that Gilbert’s injury would be more severe considering how bad that Dan Carcillo hit looked. Jim Matheson reports that Gilbert’s knee is already showing improvement from Monday, although he won’t play in tonight’s game against the Buffalo Sabres. He may, however, be able to participate in a “light skate” on Wednesday, though.
Most outsiders would expect the loss of RNH to tower over Gilbert’s absence, but many Oilers fans expressed a different belief last night. Either way, both players are catalysts for the Oil O, so the hope is that neither misses much time.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (145)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)