Jan 2, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
After Ilya Bryzgalov let the cat out of the bag that he wouldn’t be starting the Winter Classic and Peter Laviolette wouldn’t tip his own hand, the truth is out.
Sergei Bobrovsky will get the start in today’s Winter Classic against the Rangers and for the Flyers it’s virtually a no-brainer choice given what’s been going on lately in goal. Bobrovsky has been lights out in his last few starts putting up monster numbers while Bryzgalov has been miserable with a goals against average higher than a middle reliever’s ERA in baseball.
That’s isn’t going to get it done and with such an important divisional game against the Rangers, they need the two points. As it was, Flyers players were supportive of the move to start Bobrovsky as Kimmo Timonen told NHL.com’s Adam Kimelman.
“You reward the players who play well, work hard,” added defenseman Kimmo Timonen. “It doesn’t matter. If it’s Winter Classic or whatever, it doesn’t matter. It’s fair for everybody. The way he played in Pittsburgh, I think he was calm and he played with confidence. As a player, you can tell when your goalie has that confidence and he has that right now. Hopefully he can keep it up because it makes our life easier when the goalie plays well.”
A common sense move shouldn’t generate this much controversy but with Bryzgalov becoming the star of HBO’s 24/7, his profile is higher than ever. Bobrovsky will be out to prove that Laviolette didn’t make the wrong decision.
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 2
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 20
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (90)