Jan 2, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
After Ilya Bryzgalov let the cat out of the bag that he wouldn’t be starting the Winter Classic and Peter Laviolette wouldn’t tip his own hand, the truth is out.
Sergei Bobrovsky will get the start in today’s Winter Classic against the Rangers and for the Flyers it’s virtually a no-brainer choice given what’s been going on lately in goal. Bobrovsky has been lights out in his last few starts putting up monster numbers while Bryzgalov has been miserable with a goals against average higher than a middle reliever’s ERA in baseball.
That’s isn’t going to get it done and with such an important divisional game against the Rangers, they need the two points. As it was, Flyers players were supportive of the move to start Bobrovsky as Kimmo Timonen told NHL.com’s Adam Kimelman.
“You reward the players who play well, work hard,” added defenseman Kimmo Timonen. “It doesn’t matter. If it’s Winter Classic or whatever, it doesn’t matter. It’s fair for everybody. The way he played in Pittsburgh, I think he was calm and he played with confidence. As a player, you can tell when your goalie has that confidence and he has that right now. Hopefully he can keep it up because it makes our life easier when the goalie plays well.”
A common sense move shouldn’t generate this much controversy but with Bryzgalov becoming the star of HBO’s 24/7, his profile is higher than ever. Bobrovsky will be out to prove that Laviolette didn’t make the wrong decision.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)