Jan 2, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
This is it, today is the day we take it outdoors for all the action between the Rangers and Flyers (coverage starts at 1 p.m. ET, game time 3 p.m.). It’s Winter Classic day in Philadelphia and for both sides, the drama level is rather low for now.
The Flyers got all of their excitement out of the way yesterday when Ilya Bryzgalov announced that he wouldn’t be starting and Sergei Bobrovsky would get the call instead. While Peter Laviolette never confirmed that to be the case himself, the Flyers confirmed last night that Bobrovsky would be the man.
Things are a lot more simple for the Rangers who see Henrik Lundqvist get the call in goal while coach John Tortorella keeps his lineup the same. That means we won’t get a surprise start for Marc Staal, so there won’t be a surprise Staal comeback for the second Winter Classic in a row.
As for the stars in play here, NHL points leader Claude Giroux leads the way for Philly and having future Hall Of Famer Jaromir Jagr on his wing helps make his line with Scott Hartnell the one to watch for Philly. New York rolls with captain Ryan Callahan as well as big point scorers Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik.
Both teams are coming into today’s game with questions on defense and notable absences which should help open things up just a little bit more. Seeing a ton of goals in the Winter Classic isn’t something we’ve seen in the past and today’s game doesn’t figure to be any different.
Weather watching: The weather for the game should be just fine. Weather.com says the game time temperature will be around 40 degrees with a minimal chance of precipitation and breezy conditions. If you’re worried about the ice, don’t be, neither of the teams have any complaints about that.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)