Jan 2, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
The Rangers came away with a 3-2 win in the Winter Classic, but it almost didn’t end that way thanks to late penalty shot.
With 19.6 seconds left in the game, a scrum near the Rangers net resulted in a puck that got behind Henrik Lundqvist. Ryan McDonagh dove into the crease to sweep the puck away from the goal line. At least he thought he did. Turns out the referees thought he covered it up giving the Flyers a penalty shot.
To say that the Rangers hated the call would be an understatement.
“I didn’t talk to the ref about it. He’s got to go with his gut,” McDonagh said. “I thought I did a good job and I know he sees the puck trickling and almost going in and me laying there… He’s just going to go with his gut.”
Was he worried about Lundqvist having to make the save? Not at all.
“Actually I was pretty confident. I’ve taken about 100 penalty shots on him in practice and only got one or two this year,” McDonagh said. “He’s definitely one of the best in the league at them.”
Danny Briere got the call from Peter Laviolette to take the shot and was promptly stopped by Lundqvist. Laviolette had his choice of who took it and chose Briere over Claude Giroux. Laviolette said he went with the pure goal scorer Briere over the NHL points leader who scored his 18th goal of the year earlier in the game.
Briere was confident before being shut down.
“I’m thinking I’m going to score and we’re going overtime. That’s the way you have to think. I tried to go five-hole, I saw some space and he sealed it off.”
Did Lundqvist think they made the call to up the drama? Have a look at what he had to say and at the penalty shot that almost changed the game completely.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 39
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)