Jan 2, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
Courtesy the Associated Press:
The two clashed during a one-on-one drill. Both dropped their gloves and threw punches until Josh Gorges and other teammates stepped in to stop it.
No big punches landed, neither player was hurt, and both players stayed on the ice as practice resumed.
The Habs (14-18-7) have just one win in their last eight and sit well back of a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Their next game is Wednesday at home to the Jets.
That Subban was involved in the altercation won’t come as a surprise. The 22-year-old defenseman isn’t shy about…well, anything. Whether it was a simmering feud that boiled over or just one of those spur-of-the-moment things is the big unknown. The Habs will likely say it was the latter, even if it was the former.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 13
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)