Jan 2, 2012, 2:19 PM EST
The Oilers haven’t been winning very much lately, but Oilers GM Steve Tambellini says their early winning ways weren’t just an aberration.
Tambellini addressed the state of his team at the halfway point and while they’ve slumped back to the bottom three in the Western Conference, he told Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal that he thinks the Oilers can turn it on all over again and get back into things.
“The first month and a half of this season showed our capabilities. It wasn’t an illusion, not to me,” said Tambellini. “If you look at our team when our defence is healthy and our goaltending is the way it was then, that’s the type of hockey I think we can play.”
It might not have been an illusion to him, but it’s certainly looking that way now. The Oilers have lost 12 of their last 15 games and have gone from being at the top of the Northwest Division to being 17 points behind first place Vancouver. The play of Nikolai Khabibulin and Devan Dubnyk as well as a host of injuries to the defense have turned them into the same Oilers we’ve seen the last few seasons.
Even with great play by the young stars Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, and Taylor Hall haven’t been enough to get them back on the winning side. If Tambellini wants to turn things around in Edmonton, perhaps taking a look at things without rose-colored glasses would help.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)