Jan 2, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
After scoring six times to move atop the NHL goalscoring leaderboard, Tampa Bay sniper Steve Stamkos was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
Stamkos played a huge role in getting the Lightning back to .500 (17-17-3) and within six points of the Eastern Conference’s last playoff spot. During a recent three game unbeaten streak, he potted two game-winners, the last of which moved him four goals clear of New York’s Marian Gaborik for the scoring lead.
Second star went to Washington’s Alex Ovechkin. He tallied seven points (5G, 2A) with a plus-4 rating as the Capitals won three of four — he also registered a point in each of the four games, moving his personal point-scoring streak to six contests. The two-time Hart Trophy winner now leads the Caps in goals (16), PP goals (five), shots (143) and coaches fired (one).
Third star went to Los Angeles netminder Jonathan Quick. He posted a 3-0-0 record with a 1.33 GAA and .958 save percentage as the Kings moved back atop the Pacific Division. The highlight of Quick’s week was a 38-save shutout against Chicago on Dec. 28 — his NHL-leading fifth shutout of the season. Quick is now 17-10-5 on the year with a 2.05 GAA and .931 save percentage.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)