Jan 2, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
After scoring six times to move atop the NHL goalscoring leaderboard, Tampa Bay sniper Steve Stamkos was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
Stamkos played a huge role in getting the Lightning back to .500 (17-17-3) and within six points of the Eastern Conference’s last playoff spot. During a recent three game unbeaten streak, he potted two game-winners, the last of which moved him four goals clear of New York’s Marian Gaborik for the scoring lead.
Second star went to Washington’s Alex Ovechkin. He tallied seven points (5G, 2A) with a plus-4 rating as the Capitals won three of four — he also registered a point in each of the four games, moving his personal point-scoring streak to six contests. The two-time Hart Trophy winner now leads the Caps in goals (16), PP goals (five), shots (143) and coaches fired (one).
Third star went to Los Angeles netminder Jonathan Quick. He posted a 3-0-0 record with a 1.33 GAA and .958 save percentage as the Kings moved back atop the Pacific Division. The highlight of Quick’s week was a 38-save shutout against Chicago on Dec. 28 — his NHL-leading fifth shutout of the season. Quick is now 17-10-5 on the year with a 2.05 GAA and .931 save percentage.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)