Jan 2, 2012, 1:03 PM EST
After scoring six times to move atop the NHL goalscoring leaderboard, Tampa Bay sniper Steve Stamkos was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
Stamkos played a huge role in getting the Lightning back to .500 (17-17-3) and within six points of the Eastern Conference’s last playoff spot. During a recent three game unbeaten streak, he potted two game-winners, the last of which moved him four goals clear of New York’s Marian Gaborik for the scoring lead.
Second star went to Washington’s Alex Ovechkin. He tallied seven points (5G, 2A) with a plus-4 rating as the Capitals won three of four — he also registered a point in each of the four games, moving his personal point-scoring streak to six contests. The two-time Hart Trophy winner now leads the Caps in goals (16), PP goals (five), shots (143) and coaches fired (one).
Third star went to Los Angeles netminder Jonathan Quick. He posted a 3-0-0 record with a 1.33 GAA and .958 save percentage as the Kings moved back atop the Pacific Division. The highlight of Quick’s week was a 38-save shutout against Chicago on Dec. 28 — his NHL-leading fifth shutout of the season. Quick is now 17-10-5 on the year with a 2.05 GAA and .931 save percentage.
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 51
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)