Jan 2, 2012, 1:03 PM EST
After scoring six times to move atop the NHL goalscoring leaderboard, Tampa Bay sniper Steve Stamkos was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
Stamkos played a huge role in getting the Lightning back to .500 (17-17-3) and within six points of the Eastern Conference’s last playoff spot. During a recent three game unbeaten streak, he potted two game-winners, the last of which moved him four goals clear of New York’s Marian Gaborik for the scoring lead.
Second star went to Washington’s Alex Ovechkin. He tallied seven points (5G, 2A) with a plus-4 rating as the Capitals won three of four — he also registered a point in each of the four games, moving his personal point-scoring streak to six contests. The two-time Hart Trophy winner now leads the Caps in goals (16), PP goals (five), shots (143) and coaches fired (one).
Third star went to Los Angeles netminder Jonathan Quick. He posted a 3-0-0 record with a 1.33 GAA and .958 save percentage as the Kings moved back atop the Pacific Division. The highlight of Quick’s week was a 38-save shutout against Chicago on Dec. 28 — his NHL-leading fifth shutout of the season. Quick is now 17-10-5 on the year with a 2.05 GAA and .931 save percentage.
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)