Jan 2, 2012, 8:16 PM EDT
Brayden Schenn scoring his first NHL goal in the Winter Classic made for a truly special moment.
Of course, getting a win in the Winter Classic would make it even more special in his memory, but he’s going to try and not let that get him down. As it is, scoring the first goal of the Winter Classic and his career is pretty cool in itself.
Schenn kept things in proper perspective after the game.
“It was nice to get the goal, but it would have been nice if we got the win,” Schenn said. “Between being in the league last year and playing this year, it seemed like it took forever to get that goal.”
Getting down about scoring your first goal in the biggest regular season game of the year after all the injury problems he’s had this year would be like looking a gift horse in the mouth or something else entirely too cliché. Instead, Schenn can use this as the spark he needs to help carry him through the rest of the season and earning a more prominent role on the Flyers roster.
Take a look at how Schenn’s first marker looked in the first period of the Flyers’ 3-2 loss to the Rangers.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15