Jan 2, 2012, 8:16 PM EDT
Brayden Schenn scoring his first NHL goal in the Winter Classic made for a truly special moment.
Of course, getting a win in the Winter Classic would make it even more special in his memory, but he’s going to try and not let that get him down. As it is, scoring the first goal of the Winter Classic and his career is pretty cool in itself.
Schenn kept things in proper perspective after the game.
“It was nice to get the goal, but it would have been nice if we got the win,” Schenn said. “Between being in the league last year and playing this year, it seemed like it took forever to get that goal.”
Getting down about scoring your first goal in the biggest regular season game of the year after all the injury problems he’s had this year would be like looking a gift horse in the mouth or something else entirely too cliché. Instead, Schenn can use this as the spark he needs to help carry him through the rest of the season and earning a more prominent role on the Flyers roster.
Take a look at how Schenn’s first marker looked in the first period of the Flyers’ 3-2 loss to the Rangers.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)