Jan 2, 2012, 8:16 PM EST
Brayden Schenn scoring his first NHL goal in the Winter Classic made for a truly special moment.
Of course, getting a win in the Winter Classic would make it even more special in his memory, but he’s going to try and not let that get him down. As it is, scoring the first goal of the Winter Classic and his career is pretty cool in itself.
Schenn kept things in proper perspective after the game.
“It was nice to get the goal, but it would have been nice if we got the win,” Schenn said. “Between being in the league last year and playing this year, it seemed like it took forever to get that goal.”
Getting down about scoring your first goal in the biggest regular season game of the year after all the injury problems he’s had this year would be like looking a gift horse in the mouth or something else entirely too cliché. Instead, Schenn can use this as the spark he needs to help carry him through the rest of the season and earning a more prominent role on the Flyers roster.
Take a look at how Schenn’s first marker looked in the first period of the Flyers’ 3-2 loss to the Rangers.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 19
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 25
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11