Jan 2, 2012, 8:16 PM EST
Brayden Schenn scoring his first NHL goal in the Winter Classic made for a truly special moment.
Of course, getting a win in the Winter Classic would make it even more special in his memory, but he’s going to try and not let that get him down. As it is, scoring the first goal of the Winter Classic and his career is pretty cool in itself.
Schenn kept things in proper perspective after the game.
“It was nice to get the goal, but it would have been nice if we got the win,” Schenn said. “Between being in the league last year and playing this year, it seemed like it took forever to get that goal.”
Getting down about scoring your first goal in the biggest regular season game of the year after all the injury problems he’s had this year would be like looking a gift horse in the mouth or something else entirely too cliché. Instead, Schenn can use this as the spark he needs to help carry him through the rest of the season and earning a more prominent role on the Flyers roster.
Take a look at how Schenn’s first marker looked in the first period of the Flyers’ 3-2 loss to the Rangers.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4