Jan 2, 2012, 2:46 PM EST
The Toronto Star shocked the world yesterday, publishing a story that revealed Canadian NHL teams are making lots of money while teams in non-traditional hockey markets aren’t making as much money.
The newspaper cited a “secret National Hockey League report” that detailed the ticket revenues of all 30 teams from the 2010-11 and 2007-08 seasons.
No huge surprises there. Maybe when you see the figures in front of your very eyes, there’s some shock value. I mean, everyone knew the Leafs and Habs did well at the gate, but five times as much ticket revenue per game than the Islanders?
Oh, and to anyone who doesn’t think Alex Ovechkin deserves such a fat contract? There’s his retort.
Anyway, we’re pretty focused on the Winter Classic today, so feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)