Jan 2, 2012, 2:46 PM EDT
The Toronto Star shocked the world yesterday, publishing a story that revealed Canadian NHL teams are making lots of money while teams in non-traditional hockey markets aren’t making as much money.
The newspaper cited a “secret National Hockey League report” that detailed the ticket revenues of all 30 teams from the 2010-11 and 2007-08 seasons.
No huge surprises there. Maybe when you see the figures in front of your very eyes, there’s some shock value. I mean, everyone knew the Leafs and Habs did well at the gate, but five times as much ticket revenue per game than the Islanders?
Oh, and to anyone who doesn’t think Alex Ovechkin deserves such a fat contract? There’s his retort.
Anyway, we’re pretty focused on the Winter Classic today, so feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)