Jan 2, 2012, 2:46 PM EDT
The Toronto Star shocked the world yesterday, publishing a story that revealed Canadian NHL teams are making lots of money while teams in non-traditional hockey markets aren’t making as much money.
The newspaper cited a “secret National Hockey League report” that detailed the ticket revenues of all 30 teams from the 2010-11 and 2007-08 seasons.
No huge surprises there. Maybe when you see the figures in front of your very eyes, there’s some shock value. I mean, everyone knew the Leafs and Habs did well at the gate, but five times as much ticket revenue per game than the Islanders?
Oh, and to anyone who doesn’t think Alex Ovechkin deserves such a fat contract? There’s his retort.
Anyway, we’re pretty focused on the Winter Classic today, so feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)