Jan 2, 2012, 2:46 PM EST
The Toronto Star shocked the world yesterday, publishing a story that revealed Canadian NHL teams are making lots of money while teams in non-traditional hockey markets aren’t making as much money.
The newspaper cited a “secret National Hockey League report” that detailed the ticket revenues of all 30 teams from the 2010-11 and 2007-08 seasons.
No huge surprises there. Maybe when you see the figures in front of your very eyes, there’s some shock value. I mean, everyone knew the Leafs and Habs did well at the gate, but five times as much ticket revenue per game than the Islanders?
Oh, and to anyone who doesn’t think Alex Ovechkin deserves such a fat contract? There’s his retort.
Anyway, we’re pretty focused on the Winter Classic today, so feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 6
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 48
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 70
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)