Jan 2, 2012, 7:51 PM EST
For the second Winter Classic in a row, a Staal brother made a surprising return from injury. Marc Staal actually received less ice time than Jordan did in the 2011 Winter Classic, but the New York Rangers were still heartened to see their crucial defenseman back in action in the 2012 edition.
Andrew Gross reports that Marc Staal made the call during dinner last night after a stomach-churning week of pondering the choice. After “writing off” the possibility of coming back on Jan. 2 for quite some time, Staal began to ponder playing once concussion specialist Dr. Robert Cantu cleared him for contact a week ago.
Henrik Lundqvist said that Staal’s return “gives the whole team confidence,” even though it was clear that head coach John Tortorella was easing him back into the mix. Staal received 12:41 of ice time, which is well off his 25:44 minutes per game average from last season. Still, Staal said that he felt more comfortable as the Winter Classic went along, as you can see from this video from his post-game press conference.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 46
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 32
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 6
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 32
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 132
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (132)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (111)