Jan 2, 2012, 5:58 PM EDT
Call it the inevitable results of his playing style or bad luck, but Mike Green has dealt with a variety of injuries in his NHL career. He’s only managed one full 82-game season (2007-08), yet even with that past in mind, Green’s issues have been especially troubling for the Washington Capitals this season.
The team and the player are both anxious to get him back in the lineup. Green told the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera that he’s “pretty close” to returning, but gave no guarantee that he’ll be able to play against the Calgary Flames on Tuesday.
The good news is that the Capitals have a pretty light schedule to start off January. If he doesn’t play tomorrow, Washington’s next two games are on Saturday (at San Jose) and next Monday (at Los Angeles). Green can either play against Calgary on Tuesday yet not push himself to play too much too soon or he can get a nice amount of additional rehab time while missing a minimal amount of extra games.
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 0
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 3
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 45
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 81
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1