Jan 2, 2012, 5:58 PM EST
Call it the inevitable results of his playing style or bad luck, but Mike Green has dealt with a variety of injuries in his NHL career. He’s only managed one full 82-game season (2007-08), yet even with that past in mind, Green’s issues have been especially troubling for the Washington Capitals this season.
The team and the player are both anxious to get him back in the lineup. Green told the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera that he’s “pretty close” to returning, but gave no guarantee that he’ll be able to play against the Calgary Flames on Tuesday.
The good news is that the Capitals have a pretty light schedule to start off January. If he doesn’t play tomorrow, Washington’s next two games are on Saturday (at San Jose) and next Monday (at Los Angeles). Green can either play against Calgary on Tuesday yet not push himself to play too much too soon or he can get a nice amount of additional rehab time while missing a minimal amount of extra games.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 18
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)