Jan 2, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT
Unlike Jordan in last year’s Winter Classic in Pittsburgh, Marc won’t be making his season debut at the Winter Classic as John Tortorella made abundantly clear after the team’s practice yesterday afternoon.
“I told my trainer, I need a yes or a no. I don’t want to talk about it. I don’t want to speculate. I don’t want percentages. I want a yes or a no. When I get a yes, he’ll play. Nothing has changed.”
After seeing Staal wheeling around on the ice at Citizens Bank Park and looking pretty good doing it and going through all the motions, you had to wonder if maybe there would be another miraculous storyline centering around a Staal brother. Tortorella says that the setting and the game isn’t changing anything.
“Just because we skated outdoors doesn’t change anything that’s gone on the past couple of weeks. He must feel maybe brighter because of the fresh air, I don’t know, but nothing’s changed. So don’t work me on it, okay?”
All right Torts, all right… Please don’t hurt us.
It’s good to see that the Rangers are making absolutely sure that Staal is ready to go before playing him, but you know it’s killing him to not be able to play in today’s game. Maybe he’ll get a chance to play in another Winter Classic in the future.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 17
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 87
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (87)