Jan 2, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT
Unlike Jordan in last year’s Winter Classic in Pittsburgh, Marc won’t be making his season debut at the Winter Classic as John Tortorella made abundantly clear after the team’s practice yesterday afternoon.
“I told my trainer, I need a yes or a no. I don’t want to talk about it. I don’t want to speculate. I don’t want percentages. I want a yes or a no. When I get a yes, he’ll play. Nothing has changed.”
After seeing Staal wheeling around on the ice at Citizens Bank Park and looking pretty good doing it and going through all the motions, you had to wonder if maybe there would be another miraculous storyline centering around a Staal brother. Tortorella says that the setting and the game isn’t changing anything.
“Just because we skated outdoors doesn’t change anything that’s gone on the past couple of weeks. He must feel maybe brighter because of the fresh air, I don’t know, but nothing’s changed. So don’t work me on it, okay?”
All right Torts, all right… Please don’t hurt us.
It’s good to see that the Rangers are making absolutely sure that Staal is ready to go before playing him, but you know it’s killing him to not be able to play in today’s game. Maybe he’ll get a chance to play in another Winter Classic in the future.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 41
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 17
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 16
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 96
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead