Jan 2, 2012, 8:49 AM EST
Unlike Jordan in last year’s Winter Classic in Pittsburgh, Marc won’t be making his season debut at the Winter Classic as John Tortorella made abundantly clear after the team’s practice yesterday afternoon.
“I told my trainer, I need a yes or a no. I don’t want to talk about it. I don’t want to speculate. I don’t want percentages. I want a yes or a no. When I get a yes, he’ll play. Nothing has changed.”
After seeing Staal wheeling around on the ice at Citizens Bank Park and looking pretty good doing it and going through all the motions, you had to wonder if maybe there would be another miraculous storyline centering around a Staal brother. Tortorella says that the setting and the game isn’t changing anything.
“Just because we skated outdoors doesn’t change anything that’s gone on the past couple of weeks. He must feel maybe brighter because of the fresh air, I don’t know, but nothing’s changed. So don’t work me on it, okay?”
All right Torts, all right… Please don’t hurt us.
It’s good to see that the Rangers are making absolutely sure that Staal is ready to go before playing him, but you know it’s killing him to not be able to play in today’s game. Maybe he’ll get a chance to play in another Winter Classic in the future.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)