Jan 2, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT
Unlike Jordan in last year’s Winter Classic in Pittsburgh, Marc won’t be making his season debut at the Winter Classic as John Tortorella made abundantly clear after the team’s practice yesterday afternoon.
“I told my trainer, I need a yes or a no. I don’t want to talk about it. I don’t want to speculate. I don’t want percentages. I want a yes or a no. When I get a yes, he’ll play. Nothing has changed.”
After seeing Staal wheeling around on the ice at Citizens Bank Park and looking pretty good doing it and going through all the motions, you had to wonder if maybe there would be another miraculous storyline centering around a Staal brother. Tortorella says that the setting and the game isn’t changing anything.
“Just because we skated outdoors doesn’t change anything that’s gone on the past couple of weeks. He must feel maybe brighter because of the fresh air, I don’t know, but nothing’s changed. So don’t work me on it, okay?”
All right Torts, all right… Please don’t hurt us.
It’s good to see that the Rangers are making absolutely sure that Staal is ready to go before playing him, but you know it’s killing him to not be able to play in today’s game. Maybe he’ll get a chance to play in another Winter Classic in the future.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 9
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)