Jan 2, 2012, 8:25 AM EDT
Ian Cole wasn’t as fortunate as other players who escaped Brendan Shanahan’s gaze recently.
Cole received a three game suspension for his elbow to the head of Detroit forward Justin Abdelkader. The hit came halfway through the first period of their game on Saturday night that saw Detroit win 3-0. Cole received two minutes for an illegal check to the head for the hit, Abdelkader was shaken up for a bit and saw treatment, but returned to the game and scored a goal in the second period.
Cole will fork over $21,081.09 worth of salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund and wind up on the list of repeat offenders should he ever run afoul of the law again. Take a look at the hit here.
You have to wonder what Cole was thinking here by sticking his elbow out to clip Abdelkader, maybe he had a long standing hate of Michigan State after his years at Notre Dame.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 14
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)