Jan 2, 2012, 8:25 AM EDT
Ian Cole wasn’t as fortunate as other players who escaped Brendan Shanahan’s gaze recently.
Cole received a three game suspension for his elbow to the head of Detroit forward Justin Abdelkader. The hit came halfway through the first period of their game on Saturday night that saw Detroit win 3-0. Cole received two minutes for an illegal check to the head for the hit, Abdelkader was shaken up for a bit and saw treatment, but returned to the game and scored a goal in the second period.
Cole will fork over $21,081.09 worth of salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund and wind up on the list of repeat offenders should he ever run afoul of the law again. Take a look at the hit here.
You have to wonder what Cole was thinking here by sticking his elbow out to clip Abdelkader, maybe he had a long standing hate of Michigan State after his years at Notre Dame.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 2
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 24
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 28
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)