Jan 2, 2012, 8:25 AM EDT
Ian Cole wasn’t as fortunate as other players who escaped Brendan Shanahan’s gaze recently.
Cole received a three game suspension for his elbow to the head of Detroit forward Justin Abdelkader. The hit came halfway through the first period of their game on Saturday night that saw Detroit win 3-0. Cole received two minutes for an illegal check to the head for the hit, Abdelkader was shaken up for a bit and saw treatment, but returned to the game and scored a goal in the second period.
Cole will fork over $21,081.09 worth of salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund and wind up on the list of repeat offenders should he ever run afoul of the law again. Take a look at the hit here.
You have to wonder what Cole was thinking here by sticking his elbow out to clip Abdelkader, maybe he had a long standing hate of Michigan State after his years at Notre Dame.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)