Jan 2, 2012, 8:25 AM EDT
Ian Cole wasn’t as fortunate as other players who escaped Brendan Shanahan’s gaze recently.
Cole received a three game suspension for his elbow to the head of Detroit forward Justin Abdelkader. The hit came halfway through the first period of their game on Saturday night that saw Detroit win 3-0. Cole received two minutes for an illegal check to the head for the hit, Abdelkader was shaken up for a bit and saw treatment, but returned to the game and scored a goal in the second period.
Cole will fork over $21,081.09 worth of salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund and wind up on the list of repeat offenders should he ever run afoul of the law again. Take a look at the hit here.
You have to wonder what Cole was thinking here by sticking his elbow out to clip Abdelkader, maybe he had a long standing hate of Michigan State after his years at Notre Dame.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 7
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (26)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)