Jan 2, 2012, 10:32 PM EDT
On the same night that Raffi Torres received what will probably be an ineffective two-game suspension, Daniel Carcillo delivered a discipline-worthy check of his own. The Chicago Blackhawks pest caught Tom Gilbert from behind with the ugly hit you can see as part of the highlights below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Much like Torres, Carcillo is quite familiar with being sent to the NHL’s version of the principal’s office. He’s already been suspended five times in his trouble-making career and one can only imagine how many other times he barely avoided a similar fate. Should he get a suspension, fine or nothing at all after receiving a five-minute penalty and game misconduct for his latest example of poor judgment?
This could be an awfully costly night to the falling Edmonton Oilers if Gilbert’s injury is serious considering the fact that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins left Monday’s game with an undisclosed injury. More on that later.
(Interestingly enough, this isn’t the first time Carcillo caught Gilbert with a big hit behind the net as this was the first check that came up in a Google search.)
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22