Jan 1, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
While the 2012 Winter Classic will start a couple hours later at 3 p.m. ET to give the game better conditions to play, there aren’t any concerns over the ice.
Coach John Tortorella made sure that if anyone does complain about the ice, it won’t be traced back to him.
“It wasn’t bad. It wasn’t bad. It’s not going to be perfect. They have worked very hard at it, and so both teams are going to skate on the ice. Both teams did the same thing today with their families. Both teams have gone through the same thing the past month. So let’s just play.”
Yes, sir, let’s do this.
Rangers forward Artem Anisimov also gave the ice a big thumbs up.
“Ice? It’s good ice. It’s hard ice. I like it. It’s going to be a fun game tomorrow.”
Philly’s Maxime Talbot also was feeling good about the ice and considering he played in last year’s Winter Classic, he knows how tough it can get.
“The ice condition has been like pretty good and fun. It’s a special event and I think everything that surrounds the event is great and we feel privileged to be part of this game.”
Comparing how the ice in Pittsburgh was last year, which was hampered by rain and warm temperatures, this year’s game is shaping up to be just fine.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 26
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)