Jan 1, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
While the 2012 Winter Classic will start a couple hours later at 3 p.m. ET to give the game better conditions to play, there aren’t any concerns over the ice.
Coach John Tortorella made sure that if anyone does complain about the ice, it won’t be traced back to him.
“It wasn’t bad. It wasn’t bad. It’s not going to be perfect. They have worked very hard at it, and so both teams are going to skate on the ice. Both teams did the same thing today with their families. Both teams have gone through the same thing the past month. So let’s just play.”
Yes, sir, let’s do this.
Rangers forward Artem Anisimov also gave the ice a big thumbs up.
“Ice? It’s good ice. It’s hard ice. I like it. It’s going to be a fun game tomorrow.”
Philly’s Maxime Talbot also was feeling good about the ice and considering he played in last year’s Winter Classic, he knows how tough it can get.
“The ice condition has been like pretty good and fun. It’s a special event and I think everything that surrounds the event is great and we feel privileged to be part of this game.”
Comparing how the ice in Pittsburgh was last year, which was hampered by rain and warm temperatures, this year’s game is shaping up to be just fine.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (93)