Jan 1, 2012, 1:42 PM EDT
NHL Senior Executive Vice President Colin Campbell is investigating an incident from last night’s Florida-Montreal game in which Panthers forward Krys Barch was ejected for alleged racial slur.
The Miami Herald — citing an anonymous league official — said linesman Darren Gibbs heard Barch’s verbal exchange with Montreal’s PK Subban at the end of the first period, interpreted Barch’s comments as racial in nature and ejected Barch based on NHL Rule 23.7 (iii) — game misconduct for racial taunts or slurs.
Barch didn’t address the media following the game. On Sunday, his agent (Scott Norton) spoke with the Herald.
“Krys’ commentary to me is that he did say something,” Norton said. “At the end of the day, we’re confident there will be no further punishment and he will be cleared of wrong doing and his name will be cleared. Krys is a family man with kids, his whole family is in Canada and are hearing this everywhere. It’s tough on all of them.
“He hopes there is an understanding that there was no ill intent on his part. It was a misunderstanding. He wants his record to be clean when all this is over.”
Subban did speak to the media following the game — a 3-2 win for the Panthers — and said he was unaware Barch had directed comments his way.
“Personally, I didn’t hear anything. I don’t even know what happened, really,” Subban said. “A couple of guys on the ice told me that something was said. I don’t know what was said. I didn’t hear it. As far as I’m concerned it’s really out of my hands, so I don’t really know too much about it.”
TSN’s Darren Dreger tweeted that Barch is not expected to address the allegations until the NHL’s investigation has concluded.
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 13
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 28
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 8
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42