Jan 1, 2012, 1:42 PM EDT
NHL Senior Executive Vice President Colin Campbell is investigating an incident from last night’s Florida-Montreal game in which Panthers forward Krys Barch was ejected for alleged racial slur.
The Miami Herald — citing an anonymous league official — said linesman Darren Gibbs heard Barch’s verbal exchange with Montreal’s PK Subban at the end of the first period, interpreted Barch’s comments as racial in nature and ejected Barch based on NHL Rule 23.7 (iii) — game misconduct for racial taunts or slurs.
Barch didn’t address the media following the game. On Sunday, his agent (Scott Norton) spoke with the Herald.
“Krys’ commentary to me is that he did say something,” Norton said. “At the end of the day, we’re confident there will be no further punishment and he will be cleared of wrong doing and his name will be cleared. Krys is a family man with kids, his whole family is in Canada and are hearing this everywhere. It’s tough on all of them.
“He hopes there is an understanding that there was no ill intent on his part. It was a misunderstanding. He wants his record to be clean when all this is over.”
Subban did speak to the media following the game — a 3-2 win for the Panthers — and said he was unaware Barch had directed comments his way.
“Personally, I didn’t hear anything. I don’t even know what happened, really,” Subban said. “A couple of guys on the ice told me that something was said. I don’t know what was said. I didn’t hear it. As far as I’m concerned it’s really out of my hands, so I don’t really know too much about it.”
TSN’s Darren Dreger tweeted that Barch is not expected to address the allegations until the NHL’s investigation has concluded.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 9
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 9
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)