Jan 1, 2012, 1:42 PM EST
NHL Senior Executive Vice President Colin Campbell is investigating an incident from last night’s Florida-Montreal game in which Panthers forward Krys Barch was ejected for alleged racial slur.
The Miami Herald — citing an anonymous league official — said linesman Darren Gibbs heard Barch’s verbal exchange with Montreal’s PK Subban at the end of the first period, interpreted Barch’s comments as racial in nature and ejected Barch based on NHL Rule 23.7 (iii) — game misconduct for racial taunts or slurs.
Barch didn’t address the media following the game. On Sunday, his agent (Scott Norton) spoke with the Herald.
“Krys’ commentary to me is that he did say something,” Norton said. “At the end of the day, we’re confident there will be no further punishment and he will be cleared of wrong doing and his name will be cleared. Krys is a family man with kids, his whole family is in Canada and are hearing this everywhere. It’s tough on all of them.
“He hopes there is an understanding that there was no ill intent on his part. It was a misunderstanding. He wants his record to be clean when all this is over.”
Subban did speak to the media following the game — a 3-2 win for the Panthers — and said he was unaware Barch had directed comments his way.
“Personally, I didn’t hear anything. I don’t even know what happened, really,” Subban said. “A couple of guys on the ice told me that something was said. I don’t know what was said. I didn’t hear it. As far as I’m concerned it’s really out of my hands, so I don’t really know too much about it.”
TSN’s Darren Dreger tweeted that Barch is not expected to address the allegations until the NHL’s investigation has concluded.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 9
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 42
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 45