Jan 1, 2012, 11:07 AM EDT
The universe might be humongous but the net still only has room for one guy, and for the Winter Classic that won’t be Ilya Bryzgalov.
Bryzgalov noted after Flyers practice this morning that he won’t be getting the start, instead it’ll be up to Sergei Bobrovsky to carry the Flyers. Bryzgalov has not played well of late and after becoming the most interesting guy to watch on HBO’s 24/7 now he’ll become the dramatic figure who loses his job.
Bobrovsky got the start in Philly’s last game against Pittsburgh, playing well in a 4-2 win over the Penguins. He’s played strongly of late and coach Peter Laviolette riding the hot hand and rewarding the guy who’s playing well makes plenty of sense. Now we’ll get to see how Bobrovsky handles the spotlight of being “the man” even for just one very high profile game.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40