Jan 1, 2012, 11:07 AM EDT
The universe might be humongous but the net still only has room for one guy, and for the Winter Classic that won’t be Ilya Bryzgalov.
Bryzgalov noted after Flyers practice this morning that he won’t be getting the start, instead it’ll be up to Sergei Bobrovsky to carry the Flyers. Bryzgalov has not played well of late and after becoming the most interesting guy to watch on HBO’s 24/7 now he’ll become the dramatic figure who loses his job.
Bobrovsky got the start in Philly’s last game against Pittsburgh, playing well in a 4-2 win over the Penguins. He’s played strongly of late and coach Peter Laviolette riding the hot hand and rewarding the guy who’s playing well makes plenty of sense. Now we’ll get to see how Bobrovsky handles the spotlight of being “the man” even for just one very high profile game.
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 2
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 48
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)