Jan 1, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Canucks captain Henrik Sedin doesn’t lose patience with the media very easily, but he did yesterday when asked for the billionth time about his team’s toughness, or perceived lack thereof.
“You know what?” Sedin said, as reported by the Vancouver Province. “I’m pretty tired of that question.
“We won the Presidents’ Trophy last year, we went to the seventh game of the Stanley Cup final.
“We didn’t lose the final because we were pushed around, we lost because we couldn’t score.
“We’re as tough as anyone else. We take hits, we give out hits, that’s the bottom line.”
Vancouver lost 4-1 last night in Los Angeles. According to the Province, the game featured “Drew Doughty seemingly taking liberties every time he was on the ice and Kings forwards using every whistle near Roberto Luongo‘s crease as an excuse for a rugby scrum to break out.”
And similar to what happened against the Bruins, the Canucks failed to make their opponents pay for any indiscretions, going 0-4 on the power play.
Thus the same, old questions for Sedin about team toughness.
And while his frustration at having to answer them over and over is understandable, you can’t blame reporters for asking. Vancouver’s “take all the penalties you want, we’ll just turn the other cheek and score on the power play” philosophy is a significant part of the team’s identity. When it works, the Canucks look great. When it doesn’t, they look bullied.
PS — Found this pic from yesterday’s game. Probably won’t help the Canucks’ case.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 36
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)