Jan 1, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Canucks captain Henrik Sedin doesn’t lose patience with the media very easily, but he did yesterday when asked for the billionth time about his team’s toughness, or perceived lack thereof.
“You know what?” Sedin said, as reported by the Vancouver Province. “I’m pretty tired of that question.
“We won the Presidents’ Trophy last year, we went to the seventh game of the Stanley Cup final.
“We didn’t lose the final because we were pushed around, we lost because we couldn’t score.
“We’re as tough as anyone else. We take hits, we give out hits, that’s the bottom line.”
Vancouver lost 4-1 last night in Los Angeles. According to the Province, the game featured “Drew Doughty seemingly taking liberties every time he was on the ice and Kings forwards using every whistle near Roberto Luongo‘s crease as an excuse for a rugby scrum to break out.”
And similar to what happened against the Bruins, the Canucks failed to make their opponents pay for any indiscretions, going 0-4 on the power play.
Thus the same, old questions for Sedin about team toughness.
And while his frustration at having to answer them over and over is understandable, you can’t blame reporters for asking. Vancouver’s “take all the penalties you want, we’ll just turn the other cheek and score on the power play” philosophy is a significant part of the team’s identity. When it works, the Canucks look great. When it doesn’t, they look bullied.
PS — Found this pic from yesterday’s game. Probably won’t help the Canucks’ case.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22