Jan 1, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Canucks captain Henrik Sedin doesn’t lose patience with the media very easily, but he did yesterday when asked for the billionth time about his team’s toughness, or perceived lack thereof.
“You know what?” Sedin said, as reported by the Vancouver Province. “I’m pretty tired of that question.
“We won the Presidents’ Trophy last year, we went to the seventh game of the Stanley Cup final.
“We didn’t lose the final because we were pushed around, we lost because we couldn’t score.
“We’re as tough as anyone else. We take hits, we give out hits, that’s the bottom line.”
Vancouver lost 4-1 last night in Los Angeles. According to the Province, the game featured “Drew Doughty seemingly taking liberties every time he was on the ice and Kings forwards using every whistle near Roberto Luongo‘s crease as an excuse for a rugby scrum to break out.”
And similar to what happened against the Bruins, the Canucks failed to make their opponents pay for any indiscretions, going 0-4 on the power play.
Thus the same, old questions for Sedin about team toughness.
And while his frustration at having to answer them over and over is understandable, you can’t blame reporters for asking. Vancouver’s “take all the penalties you want, we’ll just turn the other cheek and score on the power play” philosophy is a significant part of the team’s identity. When it works, the Canucks look great. When it doesn’t, they look bullied.
PS — Found this pic from yesterday’s game. Probably won’t help the Canucks’ case.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)