Jan 1, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Canucks captain Henrik Sedin doesn’t lose patience with the media very easily, but he did yesterday when asked for the billionth time about his team’s toughness, or perceived lack thereof.
“You know what?” Sedin said, as reported by the Vancouver Province. “I’m pretty tired of that question.
“We won the Presidents’ Trophy last year, we went to the seventh game of the Stanley Cup final.
“We didn’t lose the final because we were pushed around, we lost because we couldn’t score.
“We’re as tough as anyone else. We take hits, we give out hits, that’s the bottom line.”
Vancouver lost 4-1 last night in Los Angeles. According to the Province, the game featured “Drew Doughty seemingly taking liberties every time he was on the ice and Kings forwards using every whistle near Roberto Luongo‘s crease as an excuse for a rugby scrum to break out.”
And similar to what happened against the Bruins, the Canucks failed to make their opponents pay for any indiscretions, going 0-4 on the power play.
Thus the same, old questions for Sedin about team toughness.
And while his frustration at having to answer them over and over is understandable, you can’t blame reporters for asking. Vancouver’s “take all the penalties you want, we’ll just turn the other cheek and score on the power play” philosophy is a significant part of the team’s identity. When it works, the Canucks look great. When it doesn’t, they look bullied.
PS — Found this pic from yesterday’s game. Probably won’t help the Canucks’ case.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)